DSLR's and Such

St0nefrog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was told I should start a new thread for this...

Does anyone own a Canon D20 DSLR. I've been looking at getting my first SLR Camera. Ive done alot of photography in the past with point and shoot camera's but never an SLR. Ive been looking at the Canon D20 as a choice for my first camera. I tried out the Canon digital rebel but it feals too plasticy and small to be an SLR. I've given some thought to Nikkon cameras as well but I'm just not sure what to get as far as my money and what's best is concerned. Anyone have any imput on the D20 or any cameras you'd recomend?

for a first slr, you'll most likely want something basic to start off with. Did you try the rebel XT (350d) or the original rebel? the new one, the XT, is much nicer than its predecessor. Nikon also makes terrific entry dSLRS, check out their d50 (or if you want more features, the d70 or d70s).

I own a 20D and absolutely love it, what a fantastic camera!

You're right about the rebel feeling plasticy, the 20D is much more solid and feels a whole lot better!!

Try it out in store, and try out a Nikon at the same time to make sure you prefer the Canon system controls.

I've got a 20D and I love it. The image quality is very similar to the Rebel XT but I really like the feel and layout of the 20D...especially the thumb wheel on the back. Of course, there is a large price difference between the two cameras.

If image quality is really high on your list, that price difference could be well spent on a lens or lenses.

You will find that with SLR cameras...they are more expensive than point & shoot cameras but the lenses can be really expensive. The good news is that the lenses hold their value very well. The cameras are always being updated and replaced but good glass is still good glass. Which is a good reason to buy into a good SLR system like Canon or Nikon etc.

Try them out in a store...if it feels right, that's what to get.

another happy 20D user.
can't go wrong with C. :greenpbl:

Here is a thread on the very same question:
http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109417

If you can possibly afford 20D, then by all means go for it.

But you also need lenses, flashes, a tripod, memory, batteries, a grip...

And I don't think you'll go wrong with either XT or 20D... both will do a good job making art, while 20D has more features to be more useful commercially. But you have to decide how much money you have.

I'd probably get 20D

thanks, all your imput has helped... I'm going to start shopping around for the best deal anyways on both as well as a few alternative solutions i.e pentax or nikkon, but as for now I'm still leaning towards the canon 20D.. I'll just have to try one out and see if I like the feel and the features.

Most reactions

Back