DSLRs with IS/VR built into BODY...

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by dan.rpo, Oct 22, 2008.

1. dan.rpo

dan.rpo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    so, i was originally going with a nikon or canon dslr, however, today, i have been swiftly convinced that a Sony or Olympus would be a better buy due to their in body Image Stabilization, drastically reducing the price of upgraded lens purchases in the future......

what are other name brand DSLRs that have the built in body IS feature?

2. Anubisyn

Anubisyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    not answering ur question because im not sure, but as for the IS in the body, i dont really care for that because if somthing happens to it in the middle of shooting somthing, you need to change body's instead of a lens. Just my .02

3. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pentax cameras also offer in-body vibration reduction (it's called SR for shake reduction).

4. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In body IS/VR is nice but not the only (or most important) thing to look at. Plus almost all of the zoom lenses are going to IS/VR so the prices are coming down. Hell Nikon made the 18-55 kit lens VR. Don't base your decision on one feature like that.

5. dan.rpo

dan.rpo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well than, if im not basing my decision on in body IS/VR/SR....what are some of the more important factors? ive already held a few camears to know the feel..but im a beginner, and not really sure what to look for in my first DSLR...i have been torn for nearly 2 months on which one to buy.

6. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Supposedly the body stabilization is better on the telephoto than wide angle focal lengths. With the Sony, I have been able to shoot down to 1/4 second handheld with a fast and solid wide angle lens and with the 70 to 300mm G lens I have been able to shoot inside without flash at f. 4.5 and the telephoto is 3 times heavier than the camera.

skieur

7. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The main things that I would look at would be feeling: how does it feel in your hands. does it fit comfortably, does it feel good to hold. External controlls: Can you change the ISO, white balance, image quality(jpeg,raw, ect..), metering type, focas type, ect, without going into menus. Image quality: does it offer higher ISO's with acceptable noise? And focasing: Is it backward compatable with older (less expensive), and newer prime lenses? I shoot Nikon and the camera I would recomend would have to be the D90. It has the same sensor as the D300 so it can shoot higher ISO's cleanly. It will autofocus every autofocus lens that Nikon has made since the 50's or 60's,. And the controlls I talked about are on it externally. Canon may offer something similar, but I don't have a whole lot of experience with them so I couldn't tell you for sure.

8. TUX424

TUX424 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the thing is that if u go with sony or others like that all those companys are fighting for second b/c there is canon and nikon up at the top duking it out over first. that also means that with nikon or canon your gonna have much for third party support so there are more lens to chose from, and other accerises.

9. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is another good point. Won't go wrong with Canon or Nikon

10. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The only problem I see with in-body image stabilization is that you can't actually see the stabilization happening. You can when it's built into the lens. Additionally, I'd stay away from Olympus because they use the 4/3rds standard, which is a considerably smaller sensor.

I find that IS is pretty unnecessary for effective focal lengths shorter than 50mm. For anything shorter than that, I can hand hold it down to 1/2 a second with a few tries and IS is not going to get you a full stop more than that anyway.

11. patrickt

patrickt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    People with Canon or Nikon systems generally say the in-lens systems are superior and IS in focal lengths they don't have aren't necessary.

Both, in-camera and in-body IS systems work.
    I find having IS available for wide-angle shots to be quite useful shooting in old churches where flash and tripod are prohibited. In some museums where flash and tripod are prohibited.

The IS wouldn't be my sole criteria for selecting a camera but it is a good reason to choose one good camera over another good camera.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  12. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I've used in-body stabilization on my Nikons for years...

[​IMG]