Ducks / Sepia - Feedback for a Newbie

vwalla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just beginning some photography (was denied at istockphoto for now :(). Would like some feedback on the image below. Thanks!

DSC_0668_sepia.jpg

Just as a reference, resize your pictures before posting so that it's not such a huge file to load. I swore I saw right of the ducks nostril when it was loading :lol:

No prob...yeah, a bit large. What is an acceptable size, for reference?...thanks.

Don't be too discouraged about that denial. From what I hear, it's not that simple to get your photos accepted, the standards are pretty strict. Just keep working at it.

Some general thoughts about the duck.
-For sepia and BW i usually increase the contrast (as a bare minimum edit when converting to BW or Sepia.
-I'm thinking a tighter crop and portrait instead of landscape. This would also serve to eliminate the other dick in the background.
- Slightly overexposed, the neck. Maybe fill-flash if you didn't use it would help to balance that out, but it's not that bad.

Edited Version
I created an edit to somewhat illustrate my comments, If you could have shot with a little grass in front of the duck that would give it some lead space toward the direction the duck is heading (and eliminate the cutoff feet). Also note I didn't place the duck in the center, but to the side with open space toward the direction the duck is looking. Had that other duck not been there I would have left a little more space above this ducks head. I played with the highlights and shadows and contrast a little bit.

I am not meaning to be critical, I sincerely hope you find these comments helpful.

p862594908-4.jpg

Tim-

Thank you for the information and the edited image. This is very helpful. I live on a lake with tons of ducks, so it looks like these guys will be my practice arena :)

Still adjusting and getting used to my f settings and apertures. Thanks for the link to the exposure tutorial. Extremley helpful.

Thanks again. Very helpful.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back