Dumb question of the day - SB 600

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, I have a SB 600. My bodies are D3100, D7000, and D800.

Is there any way to make my SB 600 fire remotely withOUT using the popup flash from the DSLR body?

I am not at home and do not have the manuals with me. I looked through the menus on the cameras....

Thanks for any help.

P.S. The SB 600 works perfectly when I use the popup flash.

Su800 or a wireless set up of some sort.

Either you can setup your flash to use commander mode, or use radio triggers.

Is there any way to make my SB 600 fire remotely withOUT using the popup flash from the DSLR body?

I am not at home and do not have the manuals with me. I looked through the menus on the cameras....

Thanks for any help.

Nope, not without using a SU-800 or radio triggers. The pop-up flash is what signals the off-camera flash. You can, however, turn the pop-up flash off so that all it does is signal the off-camera flash and has no affect at all on the exposure.

The D3100 does not have CLS Commander mode.

When CLS is set using the built-in flash setting of -- the flash unit still fires but at a very low power setting that won't have much effect on a scene because it will be over powered by the SB-600.

To block the little bit of visible light the built-in flash produces in -- mode, but still let the IR light signal get to the SB-600, you would put a Nikon SG-3 iR IR panel on the camera's hot shoe. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pr.../4905/SG-31R-IR-Panel-for-Built-In-Flash.html

Many people keep their user's manuals in their camera bag, or download the user's manuals to their cell phones.
If you have a smartphone. you can visit NikonUSA.com and look at the user's manuals.

I use an SU800 and pocketwizards. You can use the SU800 by itself, but it is hit/miss, so I added the radio ability of the pocketwizards.

Best,
Jake

Yep. Sunlight has a strong IR signal that can out power the IR signal from both an SU 800 and even more so the even less powerful built in flash unit.

How do I turn the pop-up flash off so that it still triggers the off-camera flash?

Thanks

Thanks for any help.

Nope, not without using a SU-800 or radio triggers. The pop-up flash is what signals the off-camera flash. You can, however, turn the pop-up flash off so that all it does is signal the off-camera flash and has no affect at all on the exposure.

How do I turn the pop-up flash off so that it still triggers the off-camera flash?

Thanks
This is for the D7000. The D3100 doesn't have a commander mode and I don't know where the settings will be on a D800.

Go into the shooting menu, item E3: Flash Control for Built-In Flash

Select "Commander Mode", and then go into that sub menu.

There are 4 sections there, the first being "Built-In Flash". Change the mode to "--" by pressing the up/down arrow button.

The built-in flash must still be raised so that it can control the off-camera flashes but it will only fire control pulses and not during the exposure.

See page 224-225 of the manual for more information.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the help. I will try this out soon. Appreciate the help.

Thanks
This is for the D7000. The D3100 doesn't have a commander mode and I don't know where the settings will be on a D800.

Go into the shooting menu, item E3: Flash Control for Built-In Flash

Select "Commander Mode", and then go into that sub menu.

There are 4 sections there, the first being "Built-In Flash". Change the mode to "--" by pressing the up/down arrow button.

The built-in flash must still be raised so that it can control the off-camera flashes but it will only fire control pulses and not during the exposure.

See page 224-225 of the manual for more information.

I go wireless triggers/receivers. Reliable and less costly than pocket wizards (and less bulky) -- Impact PowerSync16 DC Radio Slave System

I've used them for over two years now, on location and in my studio.

If you need TTL-these wont do that. I don't use TTL as i want full control.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back