DUMB question PHOTO-SHOP

STINKY PICTURES

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All, I see photo-shop mentioned over and over.

I guess I have to get with it... I`m a granny and I sell on ebay (for a living). :p I would like to get something to use for my pictures. I currently use Kodak PictureIT... I make dolls so I need something that I can work with relatively easy. I`m not stupid, just don`t have tons of time to get too deep into a program right away. (I`m raising a grand child too)

I seem to have white balance issues and getting good flesh tones. So what program would anyone suggest? And if you do say Photoshop... does it have editions? I don`t want to buy the wrong thing. I need something for Close ups, good color quality and to fix my STINKY PICTURES.

I`m not into making things and layers etc... just need a good program for some fancy frames, text and good color corrections.. Thanks so much for your time.

Stinky

You might want to try the GIMP or Paint.Net. I'm pretty sure both are free are have most of the things photoshop does. Making white balance and exposure adjustments with a complex program like Photoshop isn't very hard, but the program is so deep that if you want to do much else, you'll have to dedicate some time.

Hi Stinky, You might want to consider a much cheaper solution than buying a new camera. Take a look at your lighting. There are product lighting tents available for under $100 I think. These will take care of the WB and get your exposure corrected for beautiful pictures. Take a look at the commercial/product photography section for ideas. BTW, you could make 2 softboxes pretty cheaply.

mike

Hi Stinky.

My mother-in-law is helping raise 5 (five) kids, and although she does not sell on eBay for a living, photography is a hobby. She has been quite happy with a software called Photoshop Elements. It is the "basic" version of the big Photoshop. The difference is that "Elements" retails for about $99 ($85 on Amazon), whereas the the big one costs a LOT more ($649 MSRP)

Adobe Photoshop Elements is now up to version 5.0, but 4.0 or even 3.0 are very good, and will be able to do anything you need them to. You shouldn't have to spend more than $50, but you might be able to get it even cheaper. I always recommend buying a legal version, a lot of talented people worked hard creating that software.

Why do I recommend Photoshop? Well, many people know it, and know how to use it. There may be other applications, some of them free, but they are not as ubiquitous. You want something that you can get advice on from as many people as possible - including the members of this forum.

Having said that, getting a good shot is 80-90% of the battle. And good lighting is your primary way to achieve that. A light tent and other solutions are really great, they are dirt-cheap, and really easy to use. They are made especially for show-casing products. Heck, I've seen ads for these products with tag lines like "Got something to sell on eBay? Use our product!"

Others here have more experience, and better advice re. specific lighting products, but please know that even a simple camera can take beautiful shots if the lighting is right, and you can do the rest in Photoshop Elements.

Post a pic in the Critic section to get specific help.

Thank you every one for taking the time to write a response. I have and use a light box/tent. And I have 3 photo lamps and bounce umbrellas....and I got the 18% gray card...... sighhhhh I`m getting better... but I still don`t see the color of the flesh that I need. And all the lighting seems to wash out some of the detail. But sometimes my camera is right on and my shots are great, I get so excited... but 20 minutes later they can all stink. I know that the light coming in from the window really messes me up color wise. So I have to shoot early or late. I`m wondering if I should get a light meter. If that would make a difference. I use an Olympus 5 mega. pix. Thanks again bunches for any tips.

I`m going to look into all of the programs mentioned.

Stinky

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back