Dumpster Diving...

They would be so much better if they werent TS's

Good point. I should always take two pics and decide when one way works better than the other.

Are you going to let us in on the whats and hows of the shot

What - equipment
How - did you shoot it

Tilt Shift lens.

The grittyNess is done in PS. I've been experimenting with different methods. Layers, levels, layer inversion and gaussian blur applied to bring out outlines, sharpening, blending (layer opacity). It's fun stuff. I like the look, myself.

I like #1 better myself. I like the composition of rectangles in #2 and the focus being on the diagonal bridge. I also was playing with the idea that light advances, and dark receeds, to add visual confusion. Those were the two things that struck me with that scene. I plan on going back in the evening, and on a cloudy day to get rid of the strong shadows.
Maybe even HDR might help #2. *shrugs*

They would be so much better if they werent TS's

What does TS stand for??? :scratch:
Thread starter. Other forums use the term "OP" -- original post(er).

I'm on the like 1, meh 2 bandwagon.

"Thread Starter"..... :confused:

See highlighted text above. If you read before posting, you will see Bitter states "Tilt Shift" lens.... hence TS.

@erose: Definitely worth researching, if not just to know how they work. If you ever get into product photography and especially food photography, they can make magic happen. Unfortunately, most of them cost a very pretty penny and most stores (around here at least) won't stock them so you're forced to buy online. I've only gotten to use one once, but I loved it's creative abilities. Definitely on my "things to buy" list a little ways down.

. Miniatures are the "cliche" tilt-shift image, but I think Bitter has done a good job of keeping this look real life size, just emphasizing certain areas.

Not my favourite images, but :thumbup: for thinking outside the box.

Thanks. I am trying to not do the cliche miniatures. I am trying to figure out how to use this lens to do something more unusual. It'll take time. This was my first go of it outside. I did use it for my "working self portraits", purposefully stripped the exif info to see if anyone would notice. I liked the effect I got there. I got the lens to do jewelery "product" photography, and have some fun on the side.

Edit: Haha, the guy before me seems to have some personal opinions of Bitter as well as JimmyO. I guess they are two of the most "controversial" members on this forum.

:lmao:

To know me is to love me.

Aparently whatever you saw is gone now?

Both seem to be focused on nothing. #1 looks like it should be focused on the dumpster but it's just the wall....
Yeah. It's a ***** to focus. :)

#1 does look like a miniature set up, very nicely done, wouldn't change a thing. Also, #2 definitely needs a crop, "rusty9" did a good job of that. The darkness from the original was a little overwhelming. And the crop seems to put them on similar scales, which is nice if they were to be hung in the same room, especially if they were next to each other. Again, well done!

Tilt shifts are great for tall subjects like trees, buildings, etc. An absolute commodity for some types of landscape or architectural shooting. Just ask Ansel.

Bitter-Those make my eyes hurt. However, it may be cause I have monovision.

Sorry..

Most reactions

Back