Dunked my camera. Any tips?

I cried as I read this thread, ****y luck man, sorry this happened.

I know its a little to late but definitely get some personal property insurance next time around especially for that lens, a hundred or so a year for insurance can definitely be a life saver.

Good luck on the repairs :)

at least you have a BRILLIANT new toy to keep your mind off the tragedy that befell your rebel.

im also interested in hearing updates regarding the drying and whether the lens and cam function. keep us posted for sure. :thumbup:

oh and...i know the circumstances were not ideal, but congrats on your new cam!

I too fell in water with my Rebel w/28-135lens attached and turned on. Trying to get a neat view of water flowing in a creek. Found a hole and went over my head for a few seconds. This WAS fresh water. I immediately removed the battery and card and lens. Dried all I could with tissue. I removed the back of the camera body and used a hair dryer. I saw no water in the lens.

I remembered a product from years past that I used on boat electronics for corrosion resistance. It's called Corrosion X and claims to be used in military aircraft. You can buy it at most marinas or ship stores. It's a light oil. I sprayed the open electronic side of my camera with the X. Their sales ad shows an entire TV being dunked in a vat of the stuff while the TV was ON. It displaces water and provides corrosion resistance.

Bottom line...................... my camera and lens are still in use today without apparent harm. Might be worth a try if you don't send yours in for service.

Good luck. :)

ok, so i let both the lens and body sit in rice for a week. i just tried turning the camera on with the kit lens, and a new battery, and all i got was a quick blue light on the WB button. nothing else. no screen, no power at all. i guess it's dead :(

not sure about the lens. it still has distilled water trapped in the end of it. i tried zooming it in and out and barely a drop comes out. not sure what to do with it. not sure the status of it until i can get the water out of it completely, and i dont know how to do that.

ok, so i let both the lens and body sit in rice for a week. i just tried turning the camera on with the kit lens, and a new battery, and all i got was a quick blue light on the WB button. nothing else. no screen, no power at all. i guess it's dead :(

not sure about the lens. it still has distilled water trapped in the end of it. i tried zooming it in and out and barely a drop comes out. not sure what to do with it. not sure the status of it until i can get the water out of it completely, and i dont know how to do that.

Try calling these guys:

General Camera Care Information from Camera Care Center

See what they advise. Also call Canon. See what they say.

damn.
sry to hear it man.

Man that sucks that you and your camera went in. I have to tell you my family and I were messing around in Yosemite and instead of going around Mirror Lake we decided to try to walk across the rocks to the other side. I figured I would more than likely end up in the water so I gave my point and shoot to my dad to hold as we crossed the lake. Well I didn't end up in the water but my dad did! Go figure. First think out of my mouth was "hurry get my camera!" Anyhow the camera actualy dried out and worked great after that (but you can't get any cleaner water than up at Yosemite right). Long story short I was in Disneyland with the family and gave my camera to my mom to hold on to while I went do get something and she droped it and it is now a little broken. It survived a swim in Mirror lake but couldn't survive a 3ft drop while it was in its case.

yeah, the body is dead. i rinsed it and let it dry in rice for over a week. used new battery. wouldnt turn on.

i havent sent the lens into canon yet, but there is still distilled water trapped in between the elements. i dont know if sending it in at this point would do anything, but im meaning to do it this week. i figure the distilled water in there cant do any harm, but i could be wrong. should just send it in.

yeah, the body is dead. i rinsed it and let it dry in rice for over a week. used new battery. wouldnt turn on.

i havent sent the lens into canon yet, but there is still distilled water trapped in between the elements. i dont know if sending it in at this point would do anything, but im meaning to do it this week. i figure the distilled water in there cant do any harm, but i could be wrong. should just send it in.

I'm looking for the end of your story. Don't leave us hanging. What happened after you sent it to Canon? Where they able to salvage it?

i was reading this, and i totally didnt make the connection that you were the one that had the post regarding that theft until now. man, that is some really crummy luck. :(

i was reading this, and i totally didnt make the connection that you were the one that had the post regarding that theft until now. man, that is some really crummy luck. :(

yea, and I don't think he had insurance either =(

Most reactions

Back