Dust collecting cameras?

I agree with this part in full, but to add to that.
What burns me the most is manufacturer manipulation (for lack of a more appropriate phrase),

Interesting point. I don't believe it is intentional... it is part of their plan to keep products within the same lineup from competing with each other.

On the contrary, I do believe that a P&S has it's worth.

So that makes two of us here... at least. I bet we are still the minority as I see many threads that bringing down the value of P&Ss and upselling DSLRs all the time. Many threads don't even discuss the needs of the person asking for advice.

I know for sure, I've gotten my money's worth out of the G1, G3, and G5. They keep getting better... I am in the market for something to replace my G5 now.

Interesting point. I don't believe it is intentional... it is part of their plan to keep products within the same lineup from competing with each other.
It may not be intentional, but I don't think I am wrong in expecting modern technology to out preform the tech of yesteryear.
So that makes two of us here... at least. I bet we are still the minority as I see many threads that bringing down the value of P&Ss and upselling DSLRs all the time. Many threads don't even discuss the needs of the person asking for advice.
That is why I have become so reluctant to reply to those, It's almost to the point where I don't unless they are looking for a Film Camera for school...then I'm all over it.
I know for sure, I've gotten my money's worth out of the G1, G3, and G5. They keep getting better... I am in the market for something to replace my G5 now.
I'm glad I delayed a second before replying :lol:

Yeah, Shortly before my Sure shot died (Film advance failure) I purchassed the Yashica and I have no regrets on the meager thirty dollars I spent on it. I also have to say that despite how much complaining I do about my Digital P-Shooter I have definately gotten my moneys worth out of it.

The dslr question maps nicely onto the question of how many people who buy sports-oriented clothing [as, for instance, 'running' shoes,] actually engage in sports?

The answers to both are rooted in, for lack of a better term, 'human nature.'

Just because you have a big fancy camera, doesn't mean you know how to use it or even take good pictures with it.

I have had mine for 4 or 5 months now. For the most part mine is in auto. but my problem is i dont have an outlet to learn.

I have to disagree with this.You don't HAVE to have an outlet to learn. If you have a camera, go and out shoot with it in Manual. It's cheap with a digital camera cause you can shoot as much as you want and after you are done just delete them. I learned the basics by setting up my film camera on a tripod and shooting a shot then recording the data that camera said, then changed a setting then recorded the data again. Once I got the pictures back I was able to figure out what aperature and shutter did on my camera just by going out and shooting. I didn't have to go to a class to figure out all that (and I spent $4 to figure out the basics than paying $90 for a class). Same when I wanted to figure out what photoshop did. I bought it and played around with it, playing with each tool to see what it did. That's how I figured out what burning and dodging did. After that, it was just shooting that refined those skills then showing those results to people on this sight.

Wanting to be a photographer or the idea of being able to capture great photos by owning a higher end camera is more of just a popular trend. Once the technologies and price met at just the right place everyone wanted to have one. In the end it will fad off and most people will just stick it in a box and use the point and shoot again.

Most reactions

Back