Dust in 400d Canon

deitz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I realize the 400d has a self cleaning sensor, but it dont totally work. I have dust in there somewhere and dont know where it is. If i find it i dont know how to clean it. Any help please

It has been discussed a lot. Next time try using the search function.

I realize the 400d has a self cleaning sensor, but it dont totally work. I have dust in there somewhere and dont know where it is. If i find it i dont know how to clean it. Any help please

Welcome to TPF
You can use a hand squeeze air blower, there are also clearing kit with whips available, Most TPF sponsors should both of these item, please use the links, but I thought 400d also software dust tracking that would remove the marks

\
388983.jpg

Yes there is lots of info on dust just do a google search:sexywink:
But get educated before you try it your self, I have a Canon 20D & it's a dust magnet:grumpy::grumpy:

I read everything I could find on removing it & paid attention to the warnings about how easy it is to damage your sensor, I clean my sensor every few weeks with no problems, But you can easly damage your senor so take note!!
Now your camera is built a little differant, but I'm sure theres so good info out there,
The thing you need to learn is how dust gets in the camera, I have learned to face camera down when I change lenses, I make the change fast leaving little time for the dust to enter, never change lense in a dirty or dusty place;)

www.prophoto1.com

Canon people themselves told me that the dust re-distribution functions of all todays cameras (Canon and all the other brands) do a remarkable job in re-distributing the non-sticky dust inside your camera ;)

Hence my advice is as everyone else's, get informed how to clean the sensor and try it carefully (after you are aware of the risks). It is easier than most people think.

I have the same problem, same camera too.
Happened just yesterday.

All I can find on google is 'reviews' of how wonderful the self cleaner is at cleaning dust.
GRRRR.

I have the same problem, same camera too.
Happened just yesterday.

All I can find on google is 'reviews' of how wonderful the self cleaner is at cleaning dust.
GRRRR.

oh, just don't google for 400D and dust, but google for "DSLR sensor cleaning"... it is the same on all cameras.

Also we had several threads on this forum dedicated on this topic. Someone also posted some rather nice links but I cannot remember. I think Andy (lostprophet) had something.

Awesome.
Thanx Alex.
I'll check it out

the 400d has a dust reduction system, it reduces it but doesn't eliminate it, that is also true of all other dSLRs with 'sensor cleaning' It's a bit like Red-eye reduction, it reduces it but doesn't eliminate it.

Basically when the sensor cleaning is activated it shakes the dust and it falls onto a very high-tech piece of equipment called double sided sticky tape, and hopefully it stays on the bit of tape. In fact even cameras without sensor cleaning modes have that bit of tape.

Oh and if you think I'm making that up, I'm not! We have smashed up an EOS 300D to get the sensor out and there it was in all its sticky high-techness. The new Canons, EOS 1D mkIII, EOS 1DS mkIII and the 40D have a newer system than the 400D which is better but again its still a dust-reduction system.

Most reactions

Back