Dust in the barrel

mommy22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at a lense on craigslist. The seller says

"The lens is in pretty good shape, with the exception of a little dust inside the lens barrel, which is fairly normal for a used lens. The dust doesn't show up in images unless the aperture is in the f/16 - f/22 range. The dust spots that DO show up at that point are usually pretty easy to remove in post processing using Photoshop or other similar programs."

Is this something that can be cleaned or not?

can be cleaned or not?

I'd say not. The lenses aren't made to come apart. The manufacturer may be able to service it if you send it in, but you may pay some big $'s for that.

Hmmm...I'd better keep looking around then. The guy seems in a hurry to sell it...

Unless it's a super deal on a high quality lens, might be the best idea. I'd see if anyone else weighs in though, I'm not very technical with lenses and stuff, you'll want to hear from someone like Derrel.

I tentatively made an appt to meet up in a few days. I am gonna call the camera shop and see what they say.

To me it sounds allot like sensor dust. I havent heard of dust coming into the barel actually affecting images. Not saying it cant happen, just that i havent heard of it before. On a cropped sensor however you wouldnt usually use aperture of f16-22 anyway because of diffraction so in the event that what he is saying is true it probably is not that big of a deal. Again however i'll let someone with experience chip in

All lenses will get dust in them eventually, especially zoom lenses: They're like an air pump. It won't affect the image though. Sounds like this person is referring to dust on the sensor showing up in the images. I imagine you'd need quite a bit of dust inside the lens for it to show up even at small apertures. Like a coating of it.

I am looking at a lense on craigslist. The seller says

"The lens is in pretty good shape, with the exception of a little dust inside the lens barrel, which is fairly normal for a used lens. The dust doesn't show up in images unless the aperture is in the f/16 - f/22 range. The dust spots that DO show up at that point are usually pretty easy to remove in post processing using Photoshop or other similar programs."

Is this something that can be cleaned or not?
Yes it can be cleaned out of a lens but doesn't need to be. Even sealed lenses ingest dust.

As others have mentioned the seller is talking about sensor dust. If you're not buying the camera it's the sellers problem.

Dust in a lens barrel won't show up in images as individual specs.

Even then sensor dust can be fairly easily cleaned by the photographer using the right tools and techniques.

A lens can be just totally filled with a haze of fine dust particles inside it, and still shoot quite good images. I had an old 50mm f/2 Nikkor I used to carry with me inside of a wheat combine during summers when I was in college and I worked on a huge, corporate farm. I used it on an old Nikon F, which was pretty easy to disassemble and blow dust out of every few days. The lens got a lot of dust in it, and it's still there. It still shoots great. Dust inside a lens is not a problem until it is really,really,really,really,really thick.

I think the user is seeing sensor dust, not dust inside the lens; specs of dust on the front antialiasing filter, which is located a couple of millimeters in front of the actual sensor's surface, are what show up in digital photos when the apertures are small, like f/16.

I tentatively made an appt to meet up in a few days. I am gonna call the camera shop and see what they say.

My only ADVICE

Do you know this individual? If not, meet him/her in a very public place.

Sorry, I would hate to see you become another statistic.

My only ADVICE

Do you know this individual? If not, meet him/her in a very public place.

Sorry, I would hate to see you become another statistic.

I disagree, maybe you live in a shadier area. But I would much rather know the person would offer to meet at their home than to meet somewhere else. I bet I have used craigslist for 50 items. Most of the time I meet at their home. The few time I have met elsewhere, I got screwed. I should have known when they were addiment to meet at a gas station. Things didn't work correctly, would answer emails and I was out all my money!

Not that things can't happen anywhere, and are probably safer in public I wont meet anyone anymore. Bring a friend, let someone know where you are going, thoroughly check the product before you hand over any cash. Maybe things are different in the "big" cities, but I still have a little trust in people.

Also, if it is a great deal. Not sure the maker of the the lens, but heres my experience with Canon repair. I just had my 28-135 IS USM lense sent in to canon for repair. It had a really wierd look on one of the inner lenses. Looked like ice crystals, the shop said it wasn't mold, maybe oil. Anyway after Canon received my lens, my quote was 108.00 for repair. I just got it back and for 108.00 they cleaned one of the the inner lens, replaced the IS lens assembly, front ring assembly, flare ring (whatever that is), and the PCB Main assembly. I just thought I was getting a cleaning, instead I got a thorough cleaning, and much more. For the price I am very happy with Canon's repair service. Just like a new lens and what dust I had is now gone as well.

My husband always comes with me and he packs heat lol.

My husband always comes with me and he packs heat lol.

Well then I would say you are pretty safe then! From my experience on Craigs, just go through all the functions well. Most all of my experiences have been positive ones.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back