Dust INSIDE lens!

Blrdvision

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've searched threads on lens cleaning and can only find discussions about which cleaner to use etc..
I have a kit lens for a Canon Rebel XT and see dust on the inside, behind the front glass. I seem to have learned the lesson that canned air INTRODUCES more dust into a lens than it clears out.

I'm rather handy with tools and devices but have never attempted to clean one of these. I loath the idea of taking it to the camera shop because when all said and paid for, it will cost me 25% what I paid for the camera to begin with.....and then it could happen again next week. Better I learn how to do it myself - especially if it happens on vacation.

Are there any special tools needed beyond a very small phillips screw driver for removing the 4 screws on the back?

I intend to prepare a dustless work area and wash the oil off my hands before beginning.

Comments?

dust inside a lens doesn't matter you can't see it in the pictures, you'd freak out if you saw my 80-200. there's so much junk in it, it's impossible to manually focus it without going "ewww, that doesn't sound good..."

But it still shoots like the day I bought it. Don't sweat, you're freaking out over nothing.

dust inside a lens doesn't matter you can't see it in the pictures, you'd freak out if you saw my 80-200. there's so much junk in it, it's impossible to manually focus it without going "ewww, that doesn't sound good..."

But it still shoots like the day I bought it. Don't sweat, you're freaking out over nothing.

I guess I figured that since it is cheap glass to begin with I needed to keep it as pristine as possible in order to wring every ounce of goodness it has to offer - which ain't much.

Unfortunately, some recent shots have also revealed some large spots on the images as well - but they are not from the lens. I very carefully cleaned the sensor - and did find a tiny bit of dust on it but it is perfect other than that so I don't know where else to look at this point...

I reasently did this with my FD 100-200. I had to manually drill a small hole in the retainer ring because it did not have slots in it for that, but it worked.

All you should need to do is unscrew the retainer ring on the front of the lens, remove the front element and wipe it off theuroughly and put it back together.

If you come into it from the front there is no real way to screw up unless you are clumbsy and slip and smack the glass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back