Dust or Noise?

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by Jon0807, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Jon0807

Jon0807 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello all. I was playing with one of my underexposed photos, doing noise reduction and a ton of other stuff and I noticed this. I wasn't sure if it was a product of trying to fix a severely underexposed pic or if it was dust on my sensor. I've taken a few pictures of the exact same location but didn't notice this much white specks on any of them, nor on the original of this picture.

[​IMG]

2. eravedesigns

eravedesigns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its hard to tell but you have a red pixel that looks stuck but the excessive noise could be from shooting into the sunset. Im not to pro in this area of dust on the sensor. You have the 40D so I would think with dust reduction you wouldnt have that much

3. dkf10425

dkf10425 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dont know if it's dust or noise, but technically it's defined as noise whatever the cause. You can clean it up by using the dust and scratches filter then a noise removal program like Neat Image. I've clean it up a bit.

[​IMG]

4. Jon0807

Jon0807 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I think it was just noise that appeared with all the stuff I did to the picture. I noticed that actual dust shows as dark spots instead of light like in this picture.

5. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you wont normally see dust in the dark areas, but you will noise. This looks like you over processed it. I hope the original doesn't have that in it.