(DX) 40mm 2.8G Micro or 35mm 1.8g or Sigma 30mm 1.4?

Mogen Cheng

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, this question probably pops up a lot but I was wondering how DX users feel, or FX (60mm Micro 2.8 vs 50mm 1.8)

I am selling my awesome 50mm 1.8D lens that gives a nice bokeh effect because I felt the focal length was too long for a walking lens. Taking it to the park gave me a lot of limitations trying to compose my shots. This lens's FOV is also too narrow because I want to be able to do street photography.

The 18-105mm kit lens that came with my D7000 is a decent general-purpose that can do the job. But I want something that can take a decently wide shot, filling the frame with park photos or street photography with sharp and quick shots.

So I've been looking at three lenses: 35mm 1.8G (DX) | 40mm 2.8G Micro (DX) | Sigma 30mm f1.4 (non-art a.k.a older version)

I understand that the 35mm 1.8G will let in more light resulting in quicker shots but I've also heard that for it to have sharp shots near the middle/edges, you probably shouldn't shoot wide open.

The Sigma 30mm 1.4 is a bit more expensive but i heard is a great lens although the Nikon appears to be sharper.

The 40mm 2.8 Micro is more of a gimmick for me because of the marco abilities. Macro photography isn't extremely important because I like to capture moments and emotions of mostly humans. Looking at image results show great sharpness and little distortion on the edges and shots look spectacular on this lens.

My question is, in experience or opinion, would the 40mm's focal length be too long for regular walk-around photography? If so, would a 30mm 1.4 or a 35mm 1.8 be the better choice?

I'm just trying to get the most of out of my budget and in case I end up liking macro photography, I wouldn't need to invest a few more hundred into a lens.

Thanks!

-Mogen

Most reactions

Back