DX/FX Lens Question and whats best for Travel?

greenx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, Im pretty new here. I've been shooting with my D5100 as a starter camera for the past year and been recently thinking upgrading to a full frame until recently got word of an upcoming deployment to A-stan. Instead I have been thinking about holding off on the full frame and maybe picking up a lens or two instead....

Now are FX lens' compatible with DX APSC bodies?

Also any suggestions for a good lens for either portraits/low light photography or landscape photography that will endure a pretty rough travel (Im thinking not the most expensive, I would hate to have a lens break over there)...

Thanks!!

FX lenses are compatible with DX bodies but not necessarily the other way around. Trying to use a DX lens on an FX body will usually result in serious vignetting of the image. Some of my lenses are FX lenses and work just fine on my DX bodies. I don't even own an FX body and don't really see a need for one.

Just make sure you get an AF-S lens so it will auto-focus with your camera, if that's important to you.

Thanks alot for the feedback... Just gotta find a lens or two... I'm thinking something versatile like a 18-105mm

You'll get sharper images, and better quality from prime lenses.

The problem with this is you'll need to buy several to cover a typical zoom range, and then you'll have to "zoom with your feet"

May not be good for you, you might prefer a zoom that's all together

You'll get sharper images, and better quality from prime lenses.

The problem with this is you'll need to buy several to cover a typical zoom range, and then you'll have to "zoom with your feet"

May not be good for you, you might prefer a zoom that's all together
Let's quantify that: You'll get SLIGHTLY sharper images, and SLIGHTLY better quality from prime lenses.

Years ago there was a significant difference between primes and zooms but present day optics and manufacturing techniques have narrowed the gap. While there is a difference between the two it is nowhere near as noticeable today as it was years ago. In my personal opinion the convenience of a zoom lens far outweighs the difference in image quality of a prime lens, enough so that I don't even own any prime lenses for my DSLR cameras even though I still have some for my old 35mm camera.

I have looked at a few zooms with nice focal lengths such as a 18-105 or 20-80 Nikkor lenses... Any real thoughts/opinions on particular lenses? I am thinking about a DX because it will save me a little money plus if the afghans steal it I won't be so heart broken but I am still debating... a 10-24 wide would be nice if they weren't 1K+...

greenx said:
I have looked at a few zooms with nice focal lengths such as a 18-105 or 20-80 Nikkor lenses... Any real thoughts/opinions on particular lenses? I am thinking about a DX because it will save me a little money plus if the afghans steal it I won't be so heart broken but I am still debating... a 10-24 wide would be nice if they weren't 1K+...

Sigma 10-20 or the tokina version.

Given your circumstances I would recommend. Taking only one lens, the 18 - 200mm. Covers everything, no dust in the body, very sharp lens for its kind. No muss, things to loose. I have one, smaller and lighter than the FX.

Thanks guys, much appreciated for everyone's input!!

Ended up giving up the d5100 for a Sony a77 with a Tamron 18-270... Nervous about switching from Nikon but I really wanted to go with a weather resistant body for my travels and a good all around lens. So far it hasnt dissappointed :)

Most reactions

Back