DX to FX?

elementgs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.element.gs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sooooo I just ordered the Nikon D810 and the f2.8 trinity of lenses.

I'm currently using (and have been for 3 years) the Nikon D3200.

What major differences should I anticipate aside from quality?

Do I need to change the way I think about my compositions dramatically?

Is it going to be completely Greek to me?

I plan on RTFM tonight and tomorrow so I'm not completely blind on operation but I know I'm really concerned about the major differences that I won't read about. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

- John

THat's a BIG question, literally.
The camera body and lenses will be much bigger and heavier
And there's camera control. Much different than you d3200.
So I'd say, roughly, everything.

I was amazed at the difference in controls just from d5100 to d7000...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4. probably at work.

Kinda like going from a 6 shot .38 revolver to a full auto AR-15 - they both serve the same purpose it's just the operation that's different..
Quite a nice package, I'm envious!!!!
Enjoy

Sooooo I just ordered the Nikon D810 and the f2.8 trinity of lenses.

I'm currently using (and have been for 3 years) the Nikon D3200.

What major differences should I anticipate aside from quality?

Do I need to change the way I think about my compositions dramatically?

Is it going to be completely Greek to me?

I plan on RTFM tonight and tomorrow so I'm not completely blind on operation but I know I'm really concerned about the major differences that I won't read about. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

- John

Nice,

I should have done this instead of taking a detour from my D3100 to D7100. Anyhow, the biggest difference you will notice is the controls. I absolutely love the controls on my D800 vs D3100. You have twin command dials as well as an ISO button. So change you can change your settings on the fly. The performance is night and day, better focusing speeds and better ISO performance. Anyhow, take your time to get used to it and I'm sure you will love it.

Controls, performance and low light quality will be highly improved. Weight as well, so kep up with your work out.
Just do not forget that skills are more important. Upgrade them daily, no matter the gear you hold.

And congrats for the amazing new kit! Enjoy it, and have fun!

My 5ncents...
When i switched from film to digital, it was my Nikon d70. I stayed in DX world from 2002 until 2yrs ago simple BC comparing my product to my colleagues who use fx (Nikon and Canon) there really wasn't practical difference.... Technique was everything. Nonetheless, I jumped on fx train with D700. First, from controls point of view, it was the same as d300s (thank you Nikon for consistency), but the biggest difference was noise levels. Fx allowed me additional 1-2 stops of noise (meaning what I was getting, just in noise, from d300s at iso800 was about the same as d700 at iso 2000+). That truly was the Biggest advantage for me. I work with df and love the camera, again for its amazing IQ at higher ISOs. Actually with df I can shoot at L1 (which is iso50) and first time I did that in studio - it was truly special as last time I did anything similar was wag back in film days. So as many people mentioned controls, that's a minor point (I shoot simultaneously with df and d700 - never an issue with controls) but noise levels at higher ISOs, that was my selling point. I still use my d300s as a second back up, and only , smaller DX I have left, is d90 and still use that as backup for the backup OR if my wife and I are working at same time at different locations, or if any of the bodies have to go in for maintenance... Keep improving the skill ;)

Good Luck.
Joe

Low light performance (dark rooms and Dynamic Range) difference is amazing (such as inside buildings, early morning, late evening, etc). If you are always shooting in great daylight then not so much. --> http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-sensor-full-frame-camera-low-light-perf.html

You'll find the focusing system just so much better. I've read the d3200 manual before and to me I think it holds people back that really are striving to move forward. Once you see the controls that you can totally control without moving your face off of the eyepiece you'll wonder why you didn't move up to the d7000 or higher earlier.

It's just basically everything.

TPF member D-B-J recently went from the d7000 to the d800 and he's gone hog-wild in his photography, and the controls were similar.

I still use my d7000 alot, but only in normally brighter situations (such as taking a photo of the Sun yesterday). Everything else is d600.

Huge viewfinder. And huge equipment.

I really appreciate all the responses. I'm going to do an unboxing video and then go a few rounds at various settings throughout the night. Hoping to round out my weekend in Big Sur for some night shots.

I will definitely post back about the camera and the gear itself either way. Thanks again for all the responses. :)

If you need any help, I'd sacrifice my time to unbox and test the 14-24/2.8 lens for you. That should save you plenty of anguish. :)

I can't wait to get this thing going. Battery is charging as I type.

Attachments

• $image-2104316705.jpg
    $image-2104316705.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 124
I'm still rocking with an old D700 and even older D300, but the lenses are a piece of art.

Congratz. I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Tres%20Hombres-XL.jpg

much faster autofocus, more controls, a lot heavier.

Most reactions

Back