DX vs FX cropped

Ted Evans

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My theories are not very reliable so will ask the experts here. If…..one filled the frame with a subject using a D7100 and a 300 f/4 in crop mode and then used a D800 with the same lens at the same distance to the subject, then cropped the image to the same size as with the D7100, would one image be better than the other with all things being equal with the exception of the camera and if so, the reason? Thanks for your comments.

I guess practically it will be pretty similar. Theoretically it will depend on pixels size/ quality/ quantity and on the difference between cameras' digital engines.

Thanks for the link, very informative and pretty much matched my "theory". An FX is definitely on my wish list and at present, the only plausible option for me will be a used D800/D800e and even at that, I will need to market a couple of firearms.
I love my D800, but before you go and sell things that you might not want to... The D7100 is very capable of producing great images with the Tamron. Be careful of Gear acquisition syndrome (AKA GAS). It gets very easy to get caught up chasing a better camera or lens when chasing better technique and understanding can result in much better images... Most people still prefer the D7100 to the D800 for wildlife. I'm an exception because I always get so close to my subjects...

Thanks for the link, very informative and pretty much matched my "theory". An FX is definitely on my wish list and at present, the only plausible option for me will be a used D800/D800e and even at that, I will need to market a couple of firearms.
I love my D800, but before you go and sell things that you might not want to... The D7100 is very capable of producing great images with the Tamron. Be careful of Gear acquisition syndrome (AKA GAS). It gets very easy to get caught up chasing a better camera or lens when chasing better technique and understanding can result in much better images... Most people still prefer the D7100 to the D800 for wildlife. I'm an exception because I always get so close to my subjects...

"I'm an exception..."

No argument from me on that statement Kris. I am very happy with my D7100 for wildlife but I want to start doing some landscapes also and looking at many images on Flickr, there seems to me to be a pop with those taken with the D800 series compared to the D7000 series. It may just be my imagination but there seems to be more detail, almost like you can walk into the image. I have a couple of firearms that have been in their boxes for at least 20 years which I have no intention of ever firing, both of them are unfired, which is kind of foolish if I could sell them and use the money for something that I will use. As always, I value your input and enjoy the wonderful images that you present.

No argument from me on that statement Kris. I am very happy with my D7100 for wildlife but I want to start doing some landscapes also and looking at many images on Flickr, there seems to me to be a pop with those taken with the D800 series compared to the D7000 series. It may just be my imagination but there seems to be more detail, almost like you can walk into the image. I have a couple of firearms that have been in their boxes for at least 20 years which I have no intention of ever firing, both of them are unfired, which is kind of foolish if I could sell them and use the money for something that I will use. As always, I value your input and enjoy the wonderful images that you present.

OK, when you look at those images on flickr, check the lenses they are using also. Lenses and light will give that "pop". Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the D800. If the D7200 is ever announced and there is no increase in speed and buffer, I will happily keep shooting the D800 for this upcoming Osprey season. The D800 is a pretty special camera and at the current price point it is a true bargain in photography world...

"I'm an exception..."

Kris wears a fish suit, so the birds always get close to him lol ... he's crafted his skills over time and went through a bunch of lenses to get where he's at now. :)

You may see a difference from a d7000 to a d800 pictures from the experience of the photographer themselves (excluding cropping and pixel peeping). When I got my FF d600 I also learned alot more about post processing and other things. My newer d600 vs my older d7000 are much better. But that was a skill advancement. My current d7000 and current d600 photos are the same under good lighting conditions. The FF gives me an advantage in low light (which was my main thing), more Dynamic Range, better use of wide angle (though crop WA at 10 are good), and better use of the lenses I have ....

My theories are not very reliable so will ask the experts here. If…..one filled the frame with a subject using a D7100 and a 300 f/4 in crop mode and then used a D800 with the same lens at the same distance to the subject, then cropped the image to the same size as with the D7100, would one image be better than the other with all things being equal with the exception of the camera and if so, the reason? Thanks for your comments.

The D7100 image is 24 megapixels, 24mm wide.
6000 pixels / 24 mm is 250 pixels per mm.

The cropped D800 image is 15 megapixels, 24 mm wide.
48o0 pixels / 24 mm is 200 pixels per mm.

Either could be suitable for a purpose not exceeding 15 megapixels. Video monitor screens don't exceed about 2 megapixels.

The D800 with a 450mm lens and FX could be 36 megapixels, and 36 mm wide.
7360 pixels / 36 mm = 204 pixels per mm.

But...still apples and oranges. The D7100 24mm wide lens image has to be enlarged half again more to be viewed at same size as the D800 36mm wide lens image. That extra enlargement is a loss of 33% resolution, pixels per mm.

Or for DX: (250 pixels / mm) / 1.5 crop factor = 167 pixels /mm.

Last edited:
I think you've gotten adequate answers to the question as asked.

It's also probably the least important difference between full and crop frame.

Biggest difference between full and crop is the extra control over depth of field due to needing more magnification for the same frame and better low light performance (though that difference is getting smaller, IMHO)

I think there really has to be a sticky thread with some sets of landscapes/urban/portraits images.
Each set of photos should be taken with the same lense and two different cameras. Let us say D7100 and D800.
The photos should be taken from a tripod, one straight after another to ensure same light/weather conditions.
Focal length should be compensated for the crop factor.
There should be no information about which one is taken with a FF and which one was shot with a Crop.
Then anyone could check if he/she can really see any difference and say confidently which is which on a computer screen.

Thanks to everyone for all the information/comments/opinions. I did a filter on Flickr for the D7100 and the D800e and it seems on a percentage basis, there are many more landscape images taken with the D800e than with the D7100. I realize there can be valid explanations for the difference that has nothing to do with IQ but for whatever reason, I find many more landscape images that I prefer which were taken by the D800 than the D7100. Most every thing is subjective and personal perspective I suppose.

Thanks to everyone for all the information/comments/opinions. I did a filter on Flickr for the D7100 and the D800e and it seems on a percentage basis, there are many more landscape images taken with the D800e than with the D7100. I realize there can be valid explanations for the difference that has nothing to do with IQ but for whatever reason, I find many more landscape images that I prefer which were taken by the D800 than the D7100. Most every thing is subjective and personal perspective I suppose.

A significant aspect is that the D800, being a more expensive camera, tends to be used more often by people who spend a lot of money on lenses and have spent more time and money on learning. Obviously not always, but to a large extent. People who buy the D800 and then don't get good photos tend to just get frustrated and not post anything, since they're angry and ashamed of the investment they made that didn't give them the auto-awesome results they wanted.

The D800 is certainly a great camera, but landscape, for example, won't really be all that detectable in difference on a computer screen between a D800 and a D7100. Pixel density is too close to differentiate, low light isn't as much an issue because you can use a tripod, depth of field isn't a concern because the subject is typically far away and you want a lot of depth of field anyway.

FWIW, I use my FF over my crop essentially every day of the week, so to say. I just prefer the advantages I mentioned above, plus I own all FF lenses except for one kit lens.

People who are really into photography may generally spend more for better equipment, and learn more about post processing. Sometimes it really gives one a boost though. One of photogs here really accelerated when he went from a d7100 to a d800 but also upped his lenses to the trinity lenses. ==> Why I Love Full-Frame Photography Forum

Most reactions

Back