DX vs FX focal lengths?

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by darkblue-x, Oct 23, 2017.

1. birdbonkers84

birdbonkers84 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the D7100 and current use a 18-55 lens on it for landscapes (27-82.5). I'm actually looking at buying the Tokina 11-20 cos it will give me the equivalent of 16.5-30 on my camera which is far wider than I have at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. WayneF

WayneF No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Crop Factor is not likely important to a newbie, or to those that will never understand anything technical (as evidenced here recently). Sometimes technical experience is limited to how to turn it on.

When using their camera, the Field of View is what they see that it is. They don't need to know anything else about it, and many don't know, and don't care. But there are facts that are simply good to know.

In the early days of digital, and even still today, there are many users with years or decades of 35 mm experience. They just simply already know exactly what field of view to expect from 24 mm or 200 mm, second nature to their experience. But they have (or had) no experience with a new crop 1.5 or crop 2 or crop 5.5 digital camera. The Equivalent 35 mm focal length guides them about what lenses to buy for that new experience. Or what the body choice with fixed lens will do, in terms they can relate to. I would call that Extremely Important and Useful.

We might argue that that need is becoming dated today as more of us gain experience, except that all the confusion in places like this thread that proves otherwise.

This was true in film days too, large and medium and 35 mm formats with interchangeable lenses needed to know which lenses to buy for that choice. Darkroom enlargers needed different lenses for the different formats too. But today, the FX and DX DSLRs mount the same lenses, so the situation is much more in our face.

But if they never have any intention of being interested in full frame, then Equivalent Focal Length is not important (to them), and is only a confusion (for some of them). The term is not fully self-explanatory, needing a bit more reading, which some will never consider doing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. davidharmier60

davidharmier60 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Meanwhile I completely understand. And really want a Canon 20, 30 or 40D (ideally gifted but MUST be cheap) to use with Sigma 19-35 and 28-105.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk