inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Check this out:

DXO 7D vs. D5000

Screenshot2009-12-13at70050PM.jpg

I do see one error - it says the 7D shoots 3fps. That's clearly inaccurate. But does that mean the DXO test results are screwed up (they've made some dingy mistakes in the past)?

It just BARELY out performs the 50D except in ISO where it does notably better. But the D5000 trumps the 7D in high ISO according to this.

Interesting. If it's accurate, it's not very impressive.

Here's the 7D vs. D5000 vs. 50D:

Screenshot2009-12-13at71233PM.jpg

Then here's the D300s thrown in:

Screenshot2009-12-13at71149PM.jpg

Wow, according to DXO the D5000 even trumps the more expensive D300s.

I smell something fishy.

Shoot em an email with this info, the D90 is 72.6 on DXO with the D5000 being the same thing just smaller and without a focus motor I dont see how the D5000 is a mistake, but they wouldnt make a mistake on two cameras.

I smell something fishy too. :lol:

It confirms that Nikon DSLR cameras are way ahead of Canon DSLR cameras. I ought to know, I have both types of cameras. Nikon is far superior.

If you think about it. The Canon is cramming in 1/3 more pixels into a just slightly smaller sensor. So its doing a pretty damn good job to score as well as it did vs. the D5000! If you go back the D90 slightly outscored the D300 just due to it having slightly newer algorithms (sp). Now you have the D5000 with even newer algyrithms than the D300s (assuming Nikon did minimal tweeking of them between D300 and S model).

What this shows to me anyway, as the computers and programming gets better the cameras get better. But for having 1/3 more pixels and the scores very close. I would not discount the quality of the camera. Now price wise. You might have a few issues since one is quite a bit more than the other. And obviously there are trade offs. The 7D with larger print capability, and the D5000 with slightly better low light capability. Deppends on what your going to shoot.

And that's why pretty much everyone considers DXO scores a joke. I know one forum even banned the use of them in topics. My D5000 doesn't even come close to my D300s in dynamic range. And it's such a noticeable difference it should show up as like a 5 point difference on that chart.

I have limited use the 7D and I can't say the D5000 has better ISO performance. I would rank the 7D almost equal to my D300s.... if I got to use it more and was more familiar with it they would probably be equal.

I refuse to read DxO tests. They are always flawed from what everyone else in the real world experiences. They must look at noise on the pixel level. Not sure if there is any other way to do it actually. Pixel level noise means jack squat in a final print. I don't own a 7D, but a very good friend of mine does and he mailed me some high ISO prints shot with the 7D from 8x10's to 16x20's and they looked amazing. Cleaner than my 40D for sure. Not as clean as my 5DII but not far behind.

People are going nuts with pixel peeping. LOL Review sites and pixel peeping will be the end of the world. LOL

Ok, is there another objective place that analyzes various aspects of cameras? I don't think dpreview is very objective
thanks

The ONLY way I can see the D5000 scoring higher than the D300 is the DxO tests work off of JPEGS straight out of camera, which means each camera is different than others at the default level. Lower end cameras generally have the sharpening turned way up and ocntrast too high for example.

Wow, according to DXO the D5000 even trumps the more expensive D300s.

I smell something fishy.

I would say it's more a case of the D5000 produces insignificantly different quality results out of the camera than the D300s. This is one very small aspect of the camera though given the D5000 lacks many of the features like the awesome autofocus system.

I highly doubt this site would measure RAW performance of the sensor.

It would be nice if they told us exactly what their testing methodology was. This is all I can find that give some explanation of their tests.

his first tab shows product specifications and DxOMark Sensor scale and metrics results. The second tab, ISO Sensitivity, shows the differences between the manufacturer's published ISO sensitivity values and those measured by DxO Labs (following the ISO #12232 standard compliant method). As the ISO Sensitivity setting has a strong influence on measurement results, all subsequent Image Quality measurements are provided using the standards-compliant DxO Labs ISO sensitivity values for Signal-to-Noise Ratio at 18% mid-gray level (SNR 18%), Dynamic Range, Tonal Range, Color Sensitivity, the complete set of SNR curves (Full SNR), and (in the tab marked Full CS) the noise covariance ellipses used for assessing Color Sensitivity.
That seems rather vague.

Most reactions

Back