"Dying to be Thin" NSFW

I'd like to gently challenge these photos as "wanting to help others" - I can only tell you from experience that I highly doubt these photos are about wanting to help others - to me they are "flaunting-like", anyone trying to help someone with anorexia and/or bulimia - these would not be photos which would fit into that category. To anyone actively in an eating disorder or in recovery, they could very well be seen as triggering. These are the kinds of photos (albeit good shots technically) which show up on pro-anorexia and pro-bulimia websites.

I agree with you, I think she knew EXACTLY what was going on.

My apologies, I will step off my soapbox, but this is clearly an issue which means a great deal to me.

Are you saying I knew exactly what was going on?? As in I knew exactly what I was photographing and how exactly I was going to use them after the shoot??

Like any disorder (this coming from somene who worked and currently works with people with addictions) no matter who tells you "you need help", it all means nothing until you are ready.

I give you tremendous credit for you professionalism. I believe you captured both reasons for which you were photographing.

It is far to tragic society has lead us to believe this body is beautiful, when in fact this is a beautiful woman, just misguided on her own path to the real inner and outer beauty balance.

Thank you for your insight. I wish I could say this is the first time I have seen this.

-Nick

The SOLE reason I was photographing was at her request. I never intentionally photographed her with the intention of "hey, im gonna use these later to highlight her possible eating disorder". Not my style

Awesome photos! When the ET's land on the White House lawn, they should definitely call you in to do a portrait series "in the best light possible". :thumbup:

Mya, they are brilliant photos and I personally didnt mean, say to her eat food and put on weight, I meant it in a way like, "Oh, your joints are sticking out too much, I can photo shop them to make them smooth, but it would look better and healthier to gain a few pounds...." or thats what i would have said in a round about way. Your not criticising her, your simply showing concern as a human being for her health. If she was dark skins, I would have thought she was from famine torn Africa, and to hear she is just 21, wow, I thought she was about 35-40 years old!

Are you saying I knew exactly what was going on?? As in I knew exactly what I was photographing and how exactly I was going to use them after the shoot??

No, not at all - I am saying she did know what she was doing in asking you for the shoot - I'm not saying you did know or that you knew what you were going to do with them after the shoot.

The last 4 in the series are superb, I think the say exactly what was meant to be said, even down to the models expression. Can't fault them.

Powerful stuff.

Awesome shots, but they are of a sick woman.

Was the woman at all surprised when she saw her shoulders from behind? Nasty.
She was probably shocked, but unfortunately not in the way you think she was. To her, she probably thinks she still needs to loose a little extra weight here and there.

It's a mental disorder she's struggling with...

Wow.. all this controversy. To answer the above questions:

First of all, I have only titled these photos this specific title, for this thread, and that is my own thoughts on this photo. Has the model seen these photos? yes she has, and she loves them. I am however, NOT using these as "documentary" for anything else or anywhere else. I am not even using them as "documentary" here, merely suggesting they had more of that kinda feel, that they did the "fashion model" feel. In no way would i put these on my other webpages under that category. If I were to, i would of course seek her approval first.

But I do not feel it is my place to suggest to her that she gain weight. Thats why she has family and close friends. What people do with their lives and their bodies is no one elses business, but in this case I was asked to photograph her in certain ways at her request, these shots were never "set up" to highlight the obvious problem.

She was a lovely girl (21 years old) and I was simply shocked. Like I said, these were not meant to "defame" her. It was simply a title of a thread. If I posted photos under the title "CHECK OUT THIS GIRL WHO WANTS TO BE A MODEL SO SHE STARVES HERSELF!! HER NAMES IS ............" Then I would consider that defaming. Same goes if I posted a thread titled "Could she be a model?" and had pics posted of a rather large girl.

Simply put, the title was an extension of my thoughts, not meant to be derogatory or cruel. And definatly not meant as a way for me to capitalize on someone elses problem. Same reason I will never photograph drug use or implied drug use. No use in glorifying it.
I don't believe any ethical line was crossed and I think your post was quite tasteful. You have every right to share these images as you've been given permission by the model to share them. You didn't say anything defaming or derogatory in your original post or elsewhere in this thread.

People have their hot button issues and tend to be critical of others at times when it doesn't seem appropriate. I wouldn't take it to heart, this is after all, the internet. :)

She was probably shocked, but unfortunately not in the way you think she was. To her, she probably thinks she still needs to loose a little extra weight here and there.

It's a mental disorder she's struggling with...

Probably, and I agree with the first sentence of your second post.. I think the thread title is brilliant.

those are some powerful images. i especially like the one with the girl turned around and her hands above her head, and how in the other photo with her arm around her face, you can see goosebumbs. i like this collection very much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back