E-Bay

aussie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to buy a Sigma 150 Macro. I've seen brand new ones on eBay for about Australian $700, much cheaper than retail price. They selling from Hong Kong. The question is if you can trust they are genuine and in good order ( advertised as a brand new) ? I,ve seen a few sellers on eBay but no buyers so far...

Regards

They are usually ok, it's always a good idea to check the seller feedback first though, I never buy from anyone with negative feedback. You have to watch that you don't get caugh for import tax though.. many of the e-bay sellers will state that the package is a gift which usually means you won't be charged but be aware that you could be.

I might be better to try and buy one from an Australian seller, assuming your australian. If you buy from Japan I would suggest sending them e-mails and make sure things are in english like the manual. The lens could prob. me in another language if you know what you are doing, but it would still be better to have something you can read.

On ebay I generally only buy from people that have 99% or higher. I always go back and look at the negative feedbacks they have received to see if the seller is bad, or if its just one of those buyers that don't know how to read descriptions. Stores are usually pretty good, but once again I try to stick with over 99% positive feedback. I just recently bought a New Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II Backpack for $149.00. retail around $230.00.
I bought from Prodigital
They seem pretty good.

I'd have to agree with Scurra regarding the feedback. 98.7% feedback might sound good, but out of several thousand transactions that means a fair few have gone wrong, possibly very badly so - check how bad the horror story on the negative feedback is; do you want to risk being one of the few who get shafted?

As for import tax, make sure you ask. Some sellers declare something along the lines of "I will never, ever claim a package as a gift because that is illegal, and breaking the law would be wrong." Never trust anyone than keen on making their government richer ;).

Have had mostly good luck on eBay, but I think it's just that I've been lucky. Some things you just shy away from naturally, like Moskva 5s selling out of Kiev for $49.99 "Buy It Now." Other fairly reputable places like KEH in Atlanta and Adorama in NY also maintain eBay stores, and I've gotten things there that are pretty much as described. A little pricier, but there are advantages, like limited warranties and return policies. Von Drehle's right that you might want to consider a seller in your country rather than overseas, for many reasons.

Just as a general bit of information, I've found that professional camera repair shops often have many fine things they're looking to sell, I got an outstanding Mamiya C330s that was in for a total CLA and new light seals that went unclaimed when its owner died. I paid a bit more for it than I would have on eBay, but I got to actually handle it and decide if I liked it (which I did, very much) before plunking down money for it. Often the pictures on eBay are more flattering to the item than it deserves!

Thank you all, I agree I would prefer to buy in Australia, but Sigma 150mm Macro is about $1000 Australian, while from Hong Kong you can get for around $720 Australian

Most reactions

New Topics

Back