E.Ludwig 2.9/50 Meritar

Dallmeyer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
deleted pics. thanks for your input Derrel!

Last edited:
At close range and wide-open at f/2.9 it has a slightly "swirling" background rendition characteristic, as seen in the top photo. At longer ranges, it seems pretty neutral bokeh-wise. What mount is this lens in? Is it an M42 thread mount lens?

It's M42. Yes the swirls at 2.9 is not my cup of tea at all! Reminds me of a Helios 44 (which i love as a lens!) but not wide open. I have a two intentionally defocussed pictures at f2.9 & f4 which show the passable bokeh stopped down. Personally i'm chuffed with the color and look from this lens in the f5.6 picture. Also this time last week i made similar shots at the airport as these wit a Super Takumar 1.8/55 and in comparison, this little triplet did very well. (One good thing about the Meritar, its very compact and it fits between the railings or through a mesh fence in ways other lenses can't!)

Last edited:
f2.9 bright edge/bright center discs
bokehdefoc2.9.jpg

f4 slight edge but more neutral discs
bokehdefoc5.jpg

Yes but mine's a "zebra" style one. I'm trying to find the pic on Captain Jacks Exa site. I think E.Ludwig made budget lenses like the Meritar for Exa cameras.

Funny quote in google results:
"The Meritar is no fun for me...I keep in on the front of an Exa to keep the dust out."

LOL

Last edited:
I have one of these lenses. It has an Exakta mount. I use it on one of my Exakta VX's. It is not nearly as sharp as my Zeiss Tessar 3.5/50 but not a bad lens when stopped down.

got some beautiful shots there!

CZJ Tessar #6317003, alu preset.
Ludwig Meritar #1603953, alu/zebra preset.

Most reactions

Back