Early Morning shake.

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by leighthal, Oct 18, 2009.

1. leighthal

leighthal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Had a nice time on vacation. Not much of a camera vacation but did get 2 shots I liked.

1.Early Morning Shake. f/11 l iso100 l 1/60 l 500mm
    What I like: the movement of the loon and the water reflection
    What I hate: the darkness of the shore at the head height.
    Discussion wanted: With such a distance to cover I find it hard to focus. I tried many photos of this bird at a higher iso so I could increase the speed to "freeze' the action but my focus was off on all but a handful. How does one focus so far away? Or is it more hit and miss at this distance?

[​IMG]

2. Totem Spirit f/6.7 l iso400 l 1/125 l 55mm
    What I like: The natural colours and the eyes that appear to be made of glass (but they are all wood)
    What I hate: The f stop. Lost some detail in the grain. I also chopped his poor eye off. pfffthhhhh
    Discussion wanted: What f stop would you have shot this at?

[​IMG]

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    An eyepiece magnifier for your camera might help a bit in achieving critical focusing. Not sure what 500mm lens you have, but many long tele-zooms like th 50-500 or 150-500 or 200-500 3rd party lenses have rather slow,pokey maximum apertures like f/6.3, which can lead to a focusing situation where critical focusing is often difficult to ascertain, visually. Usually, you have to rely on the AF system and the AF confirmation light to make absolutely sure you've nailed the focus.

On the totem, it looks like you simply missed the composition,and needed to have swung the camera a few degrees more to the right to have included the eye on the right side. I might have shot the totem at f/8.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  3. leighthal

leighthal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a sigma 150-500 DG HSM. It definetly has shortcomings but at the price it fit the nature bill. The focusing on it is tricky at long distances. I'll look into your suggestion of a eyepeice magnifier. Never heard of one before. Off to google......... thanks.

4. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Love that first photo. It's very unique. Do you have a larger size to post?

5. leighthal

leighthal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here you go. The flickr conversion left the water spray quite pixelized. My original has it very soft and fuzzy.[​IMG]