Early Spring Walk up the Creek

sojourn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a nice hike up our nearby creek. While the sun was overhead, light was harsh and the sky was somewhat hazy, it was still a fun day to snap some pictures.

I've tried to implement some of the composition tricks I've learned here, lately, and took them in RAW. Now I know I need some bigger memory cards, because mine only took 140 images!

The lighting wasn't the best, this creek with it's textured cut banks would be a better shot in the afternoon, but I captured it the best I could.

1. East Stillwater Creek

4446038631_ceb46e73d1_b.jpg

2. Colorful clays and pebbles color the clear water:

4445997011_db073fe082_b.jpg

3. The oak tree boneyard and Trinity mountain range:

4445996151_438784abd4_b.jpg

4. Winter coloration of California Poppy leaves:

4446771172_0ac95a62ac_o.jpg

5. B & W version of the oak tree boneyard, looks like a monster snapping its jaws:

4445997493_2b80452125_b.jpg

Pretty solid. I love the composition of #3 and the colors in #4.

Thank you, both. I am amazed at how differently I regard my image taking just in less than a month being here.

Here is one more, a bit different view of the oak boneyard and the Trinities :biggrin::

4446390493_f891ede943_b.jpg

I like this last post. I like the way that the "stumps" kind of frame out the pic. I really enjoy #4 and 5 above good B&W and I like the California poppy macro. I think #1 and 2 have some potential, I don't know if you do any PP, but I think they could use some more contrast (or something) they come off a little bit flat. I would like to see a little more color with them

Nice Shots!

A question though -do you own a polarizing filter? If yes, did you use it on shots 1 & 2?

A polarizing filter (if you didn't use one) would have taken some or all of the reflections off the water and may have made the clouds in #1 stand out a little more.

But they are very nice!!

I like this last post. I like the way that the "stumps" kind of frame out the pic. I really enjoy #4 and 5 above good B&W and I like the California poppy macro. I think #1 and 2 have some potential, I don't know if you do any PP, but I think they could use some more contrast (or something) they come off a little bit flat. I would like to see a little more color with them

That day was hard for good lighting...I do PP very well, and I could try a bit more contrast and saturation, but in this early spring/late winter time of year for us, everything is overly bright and washed out. I agree, it is flat. Here, I've bumped the contrast...but it makes the cliffs very dark:

4448306119_9a1b062e38_b.jpg

Nice Shots!

A question though -do you own a polarizing filter? If yes, did you use it on shots 1 & 2?

A polarizing filter (if you didn't use one) would have taken some or all of the reflections off the water and may have made the clouds in #1 stand out a little more.

But they are very nice!!

Vinny, all my shots are with a PF. The sky was a light haze, also with the heavier jettrails and cirrus, very little color, nothing short of deleting the sky and dropping another one in would have made those images better.

While I usually drop the surface reflections out of my water shots, this way allowed less of a contrast between the brightly lit hills and the dark cliffs I was trying to compensate for.

I couldn't even shoot facing south because EVERYTHING was blown out. Bleah. West was the only good sky, and that was why the oak-bones and mountains had such good exposure.

Shot number 2 doesn't have reflections so much as ripples that obscure some of the creek bed beneath. I like the earthy pastels and textures.

I usually take one photo each of the turn of the PF, but oddly enough I did not do it this time. My hiking-mate and dogs kept getting in way of my photos :sexywink: .

Here's a bit different view, not so much pale sky, but still not the rich dark blues I can get with a PF at times:

4448306617_90f9319f71_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back