ease of use for a beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by keystervr6, May 22, 2008.

1. keystervr6

keystervr6 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i'm lookin at buying either a nikon d40 or cannon rebel xt....

i've read all the reviews but none say which is the easiest for a novice? contols and settings wise?

2. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im a Nikonian but not a fan of the D40. The reason being that to use your AutoFocus you have to stay with AF/S or, AF/I lenses. All of the other lenses you will have to manually focus. But granted there are more manufacturers making lenses for it now. So the options are opening up.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The differences are inconsequential. I'd suggest you got into a store and hold both models. Play with them a bit and see which one feels best in your hands.

4. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

If, as you say, you're a novice to (digital) photography a dSLR will be expensive overkill that you cannot nearly use to its full potential. I.o.w.: a waste of your money.
    I suggest you first get a compact point & shoot camera – with a viewfinder! – to learn to apply the general principles of photography and (maybe) get a dSLR in a year's time or so (your compact will then be your trusted backup camera) when you know a bit of what you're doing.

You must learn to walk before you can run.

Have fun!

5. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're a novice that's serious about photography, get the DSLR, because in a year's time the DSLR type P&S's won't be worth nearly what you paid for it and you'll wish you spent the extre money on buying additional lenses rather than doing a swap of camera bodies.

The only time I reccomend buying one of those things is if you don't have a lot of money to spend and aren't planning on buying additional lenses for the camera.

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I disagree. Any DLSR can be used as simply as any P&S digital camera. In fact, there are many, many DSLR owners who never take them out of full auto mode. But with a DSLR, you have every opportunity to explore photography and try things that you may not be able to do with a digicam.

If you bought a lesser camera first, and then upgraded later...you could consider the digicam a waste of money.

If you have the foresight to see what you will want to use in the long run, it's cheaper to buy it first and grow with it.

That being said, make sure that you want a large camera that you are willing to take it places and use it. Some people may find that they don't use an SLR camera because they prefer to grab a compact instead.

7. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hell, Nikon even markets the D40 as a P&S.

8. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's because their largest target market for a camera like that are the so called 'soccer moms'. They want something good but don't want to have to learn how to use it.

9. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1 stroke 'o genius.

10. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

What a waste all around.
    I bet most of those soccer moms won't even bother to take that D40 to the 3rd game, and further, because it's simply too big, too heavy, and with too many confusing buttons.
    And soccer dad can pay for all that wasteful frivolousness.

11. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's still not as bad as the home exercise equipment industry. Millions and millions of dollars are spent every year on things that people hang their clothes on :lol:

12. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Yes ... it is all marketing. Most of the time it is not what the consumer need to buy, it is what the manufacturer want us to buy. They create the market and we follow. Like bottle water.

All they need to do is make some tv commercials that show how good the photos come out with the camera and the soccer mom will think she can take the same good looking photos with that camera. And she looks cool with the camera as well.