ease of use for a beginner

only difference I'm seeing is the grain in the first vs the second.

You can take shots like the second with standard kit lense as well as lowering ISO on your p&s.

the ISO was at 80 in the first one...no clue about the 2nd

i think the lens on my p&s is just maxed out on capabilities :er:

That you can with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX (and a tripod, and the right location, and the right light: overcast...).

well then, i think the d40 is exactly what i need...
and i dont think i'll be limiting myself with that setup either

The nomenclature these days, though, is getting absolutely ridiculous. This one is straight from a play by Franz Kafka: "And I baptize you 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX...".

:lol::lol::lol:

you're not that far off with your current setup....Only issues I'm seeing are the unwanted shadows that don't really exist in the second...The second isn't perfect either though.

I like the way the car is arranged more in yours. What kind of camera is it?

yeah, if i could get somewhere without shadows that would be awesome, i just can't find that place yet...

my current camera is a kodak Z612....i got it for my wife to take more pics of stuff we do and places we go, but she hasn't used it since i got it, so i picked it up and wanted to learn

The nomenclature these days, though, is getting absolutely ridiculous. This one is straight from a play by Franz Kafka: "And I baptize you 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX...".

:lol::lol::lol:

that went right over my head...i had to google nomenclature:lol:

if the majority of what you are going to be shooting is cars in park than d40 is not even close to limiting...you are fine. If you wanted to print door size posters maybe but honestly IMHO all you need to add to that setup would be a good flash.

Don't have buyers remorse before you buy something. Test as many cameras as you can at stores and make your decision than. What is your budget?

I use Rebel XT and I use the hell out of it. I'm thinking of getting 30d but as of now I'm pretty happy with it.

yeah, if i could get somewhere without shadows that would be awesome, i just can't find that place yet...

And when you've finally found that place you'll soon start looking for yet another place, just like the first one, but with controllable reflections...

There were probably some reflectors used in this shot or even time of day difference...get a couple friends with umbrellas...

And when you've finally found that place you'll soon start looking for yet another place, just like the first one, but with controllable reflections...

i know, i've only been shooting pics for about a week now, and i find myself looking everywhere i drive for places to take pics...this could get out of hand fast:D

I picked up a 7MP P&S (Casio) recently on clearance just so that I can have a slim camera to take with me when I really don't feel like lugging DSLRs around. I've been spoiled by DSLRs now and there's simply no comparison in image quality. My 6MP D40'd output is SHARP and every single pixel is showing detail. The P&S looks like crap in comparison and the photos very muddy. I've looked at 100% full images from a lot of the P&S's out there today on some of these reviews sites and it's no better or worse than a lot of these, but even my old 5MP P&S that broke looks better. This is the result of cramming far too many pixels into way too small of an area, and way overcranked megapixel marketing hype. Whenever I've just taken my P&S out I've regretted it and wished I had just brought along the D40 and heck, even the 18-55 lens. Even f/5.6 is perfectly fine for indoor shooting if you're using a flash, and the mini SB-400 whose flash head flips up for bouncing is great for carrying with you and for use in restaurants. So my take is that even a soccer mom who never takes the thing off of full auto or just flips it over to sports mode for those soccer games is going to get FAR better results than they ever would with a P&S camera.

Mav, sell that thing and try a Nikon Coolpix. 5mp or more. no muddy photos and alot of features for next to nothing money wise.

btw - I enjoy your posts.

As for the car pics - where are the CAMERO shots!?

:)

J/K ya - those are nice and the silver one makes me wanna grab the keys and high-tail it outta there!

The differences are inconsequential. I'd suggest you got into a store and hold both models. Play with them a bit and see which one feels best in your hands.

If you get a DSLR, my advice is to go into a store and hold all of the models in your price range. Some people get so sucked into Canon vs. Nikon that they miss out on a camera that fits their needs better just because it doesn't have that name on the front. Find a review website you like and read all of the reviews with an open mind, because (especially at this price point) there is no perfect camera, each has its own strengths and weaknesses. I went into my first camera search last year trying to choose between a Rebel XT and a D40, but when I found out that the Nikon was short on features and the Canon was sized for Bushwick Bill's hands, I moved on to Pentax and bought what was, for me, easily the best camera in the price range.

Canon or Nikon certainly may be your best option, but do your homework and make sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back