Easy question for you digital guys/gals...

railman44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How often do you use a circular polarizer? Is it worth it to buy one. I use one with film but digital is still fairly new to me and my lenses are larger...

Sure, it's one of the few filters you'll need with digital. As long as I can afford to lose 2 stops, I will always use a polarizer when shooting color outdoors (digital or film). With digital I can increase the saturation later, but my PS skills aren't up to removing glare from every leaf, etc...

For film I like to have a warming, a yellow, an orange, a red, and a polarizer. Sometimes a split neutral density and IR. With digital all I really need is the polarizer and maybe the IR.

I don't remember who said it but it made good sense. Buy the CP filter for your largest lens diameter and step up rings for the rest of your lenses. Sure does save a lot of money that way. :D

I use mine whenever I'm outside and can as well.

Must have railman, I use mine for the majority of my pictures. I do not think PS can replicate what a polarizer can do for you. IMO it is the most important filter.

a polarizer is definitely a must. The difference is huge and to my knowledge is one of the few filters that really cannot be accomplished with digital editing.

I use mine all the time when I'm outdoors and even when I'm indoors and can afford the stops. It really helps with color saturation, removing reflection highlights, and as others have said it's one of effects that can not be easily added later in PS.

Most reactions

Back