Dragster3

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.dragster3.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For Christmas I'm thinking of getting a new body, DX format.

So Q is ... d5600 and d3400 have the old sensor right? 24MP

The d500 and d7500 have the same new 20MP sensor?

I don't want to spend $2k on a d500, should I get the d7500?

I take it that the IQ is better with the newer sensor that is lower MP? Because of it's high ISO range?

Also why is the d500 an extra $800?

Thanks In Advance.

The D500 is a professional camera. Higher build quality. Features not found on the lower bodies. It also has NO beginner AUTO, AUto no flash, no Effects or other modes found on the lower bodies. You'll know if you need a D500.

It really always comes down to what is your *real* budget on a new camera body (not including any new lenses, etc). And what do you want out of the new camera.

For instance the D3400 is stripped down in regards to certain features and AF system. But is is cheaper. The D5600 adds more features and costs a bit more. Both the D3400 and D5600 use menu systems as an interface for many settings. The D7x00 series introduces a in-body focus motor for older AF/AF-D lenses. Goes from a pentamirror to a pentaprism display, dual wheels for faster control for faster situations, etc. and uses a different menu system build to more specific access. The D500 introduces 10fps and advanced features in the AF system etc.

As you move up the bodies also get larger as they contain more electronics (more features, etc).

You get more for your money as you spend more. But it all depends if you need all those advanced features or not.

For instance if you are a Bird In Flight photographer the D500 holds a extreme advantage over a D3400. Where as if you only did landscapes The D5600 may be the best option in price per what you need.

The question is punted back to you in that is the D5000 holding back on you on. How do you find it difficult to use, etc. Though the D5000 is an old body and the D5600 probably would blow it away expanding your abilities just in technology alone.

The D500 is a professional camera. Higher build quality. Features not found on the lower bodies. It also has NO beginner AUTO, AUto no flash, no Effects or other modes found on the lower bodies. You'll know if you need a D500.

It really always comes down to what is your *real* budget on a new camera body (not including any new lenses, etc). And what do you want out of the new camera.

For instance the D3400 is stripped down in regards to certain features and AF system. But is is cheaper. The D5600 adds more features and costs a bit more. Both the D3400 and D5600 use menu systems as an interface for many settings. The D7x00 series introduces a in-body focus motor for older AF/AF-D lenses. Goes from a pentamirror to a pentaprism display, dual wheels for faster control for faster situations, etc. and uses a different menu system build to more specific access. The D500 introduces 10fps and advanced features in the AF system etc.

As you move up the bodies also get larger as they contain more electronics (more features, etc).

You get more for your money as you spend more. But it all depends if you need all those advanced features or not.

For instance if you are a Bird In Flight photographer the D500 holds a extreme advantage over a D3400. Where as if you only did landscapes The D5600 may be the best option in price per what you need.

The question is punted back to you in that is the D5000 holding back on you on. How do you find it difficult to use, etc. Though the D5000 is an old body and the D5600 probably would blow it away expanding your abilities just in technology alone.
So my biggest setback is I can't really go bigger than 16x20 enlargements ...I don't use any fancy features, 50% of the time full manual other 50% aperture priority...I love using vintage lenses and I'm a hand held flash kinda guy. My main concern is IQ and how well it performs in low light. I like high FPS. Main question is the new 20MP sensor better than the old 24MP sensor and is it because of the ISO range.

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I'm not sure about the 16x20. Someone else is going ot have to chime in such as @tirediron or @Derrel I think you'll be venturing into Medium Format territory .. or D8x0 territory. d850 is $3,300 USD at 7/9fps and 46mp sensor.

With you concerns I can't imagine why you have a D5000?

How much do you value FPS? D500 10fps $2,000 USD level or Sony a9 20fps $4,500 USD territory, or something a bit less ?

Any new camera is going to be much better IQ and in low light than the d5000 you have listed as your camera.

Sounds like you need a D5. High frame rate and full frame. A tad pricey though.

The D7500 will serve you well. You'll learn to love having more external controls and less menu diving.

The new sensor is better, mainly at low light, but also at color reproduction, etc.

And I don't really understand anyone saying they have trouble printing large. I printed a few 16x24 images from my old 10 megapixel D80, so any modern camera has more than enough megapixels for that size print. Will the print be sharp when you're standing a foot away? Nope. But nobody views a 16x24 from a foot away. From the proper viewing distance it will look perfect.

If you don't need the top of the line AF system, nor the faster 10fps shutter rate. Get the D7500. It actually scores slightly better than the D500 in testing for color and iso performance, the same for dynamic range. The D500 is more expensive due to better weather sealing, more advanced AF system, can get model with XQD card use, which clears buffer much faster (only really needed for high frame rate shooting), and the D500s rear screen has more than double the resolution. Some smaller differences as well. But those are the biggies.

The AF system is a big difference in the D500 vs D7500. With either of these cameras you get the body AF motor so you can used the older AF lenses from 80's and 90's. The D3400 is good camera but you will spend more time in the menu's changing settings. They are great beginner and all around general camera, I carry a D3300 for a light travel camera. But I also have D600 and D800 for when I am at home.

I'm not sure about the 16x20. Someone else is going ot have to chime in such as @tirediron or @Derrel I think you'll be venturing into Medium Format territory .. or D8x0 territory. d850 is $3,300 USD at 7/9fps and 46mp sensor.

With you concerns I can't imagine why you have a D5000?

How much do you value FPS? D500 10fps $2,000 USD level or Sony a9 20fps $4,500 USD territory, or something a bit less ?

Any new camera is going to be much better IQ and in low light than the d5000 you have listed as your camera.

Any decent camera with a 18mp sensor or larger will do a 16x20 just fine for wall hung art. People get stuck on needing 300 ppi for prints. This is what magazines and the like print at based on average viewing distance of 1'. Fine art gets printed around 720. But that is designed to view much closer. Down to the human eye focus distance of approximately 4". It all depends on distance on what ppi you need. For more than arms length distance a PPI of 210-240 will be just fine. A 20mp sensor from D500 or D7500 will do just fine. And thats without using any kind of extrapolation programs that upsize files for larger printing.

Alright so d7500 it is, I don't need some crazy auto focus. Still no one has chimed in on how the less MP d7500 new sensor is better than the 24MP in the d3400. And if I can got 16x20 on my d5000, how big can I go with the new d7500. And has anyone ever bought one from Jet? Why is it so cheap there? Who should I buy this from...$100 price difference isn't going to sway me to buy from one place or another...thanks!

For Christmas I'm thinking of getting a new body, DX format.

So Q is ... d5600 and d3400 have the old sensor right? 24MP

The d500 and d7500 have the same new 20MP sensor?

I don't want to spend $2k on a d500, should I get the d7500?

I take it that the IQ is better with the newer sensor that is lower MP? Because of it's high ISO range?

Also why is the d500 an extra $800?

Thanks In Advance.

Get the 500 as soon as there is a sale like Black Friday or the like. It is a terrific camera, while the 7500 has some significant cuts on the feature list. Black Friday 2016 the D500 was 1800 US$ including the original grip, this year it can be lower and you can sell the trip to reduce price further.

The AF and WB are out of this world, the camera runs circles around my D3 in every single respect. Do not go for less.

Alright so d7500 it is, I don't need some crazy auto focus. Still no one has chimed in on how the less MP d7500 new sensor is better than the 24MP in the d3400. And if I can got 16x20 on my d5000, how big can I go with the new d7500. And has anyone ever bought one from Jet? Why is it so cheap there? Who should I buy this from...$100 price difference isn't going to sway me to buy from one place or another...thanks!

It is not the Sensor quality, it is the Autofocus and White Balance and Color Consistency and Speed. You can shoot kids indoor soccer without flash tracking the players at ISO up to 20.000!!!

Jet is now owned by Walmart.

If you are satisfied with 16x20's from your D5000. With the same ppi density from the D7500 you can print 26x20. With the same ppi density of the other 2. The D3400 will get you 28x22 prints. But the D3400 has lower ISO performance, and just slightly less dynamic range than the D7500. But the D3400 will have slightly better color performance. Both will perform sensor wise much better than your D5000. Also between the D3400 and D7500 there are different chips, buffer sizes, frame rates, bracketing options in the D7500 over the D3400. Also the D7500 raw is 14 bit vs 12 bit from the D3400. Bit difference is how many shades of colors can be represented / stored. 12 bit is less than 70million, while 16 bit is over 4 trillion. Some say the human eye can't tell. BTW the D5000 is 12 bit raw as well.

Since this is a holiday weekend there are bound to be sales all over the place. Would find one in stock locally.

Isn't the d500 huge compared to the d7500? I thought the WB would be the same, I know the AF is better...main Question is how big can I go? Enlargement?

for comparison

D500 - 860g. 147 x 115 x 81 mm

D7500 - 640g. 136 x 104 x 73 mm

D5000 - 590g. 127 x 104 x 80 mm (yours)

D5600 - 465g. 124 x 97 x 70 mm (newest 5000 series)

D3400 - 395g. 124 x 98 x 76 mm

D850 - 1015g. 146 x 124 x 79 mm

you should really go to a store and hold them. 453 grams is about 1 pound.

WhiteBalance has been improved over time. Plus with fast (costly processors advanced Flicker control) it can be more accurate and fast at the same time (ie, D500 and above).

Go to a local BestBuy they will probably have them all to try in your hands.

Last edited:
Isn't the d500 huge compared to the d7500? I thought the WB would be the same, I know the AF is better...main Question is how big can I go? Enlargement?

32'×20' billboard! As in a highway billboard. Meant to be viewed from over a couple hundred feet away! Again any answer to print size from any size sensor will be dependant on viewing distance and print medium. The closer you are the more ppi you need for a continuous looking image. If you want to go bigger there is also software that will upsize immages to varying success. I have never used or needed them.

Most reactions

Back