Ebay Nikon D80 deal?

bisp21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Stay away from those kits with all the accessories, you dont need them.

Stay away from those kits with all the accessories, you dont need them.

I actually need the tripod, lense, bag, and wide angle lense.

I am a point shoot digital guy and have no idea how much everything cost with the DSLR's. Is there a better price out there?

The accessories in those packages are usually junk. The camera and the lens is the only thing that is going to last. That wide angle lens is generic and won't give you very good image quality.

The camera itself with the 18-55mm VR lens is $900 at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/541241-REG/Nikon_9483_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html
You can also get a good high speed memory card for like $25+ from there also. Look around on that website for everything you are looking for, because it has some of the lowest prices around.

I would be weary of any EBay "kit" deals. When I was shopping for a body, I found many of these EBay kit dealers belong to the same group of New York vendors that has such bad reps at resellerratings.com.

Personally, I prefer B&H - clicky in upper right of this page. They have not messed up any of my orders so I stick with them.

Adorama and Amazon are other good sources.

Ya, those accessories are crap and will just not get used. Those tripods will barely hold you camera, and those wide angle "lenses" KILL image quality, and another example is those card readers will fall apart and those cleaning supplies are just to make you think your getting a deal.

I would be weary of any EBay "kit" deals. When I was shopping for a body, I found many of these EBay kit dealers belong to the same group of New York vendors that has such bad reps at resellerratings.com.

Personally, I prefer B&H - clicky in upper right of this page. They have not messed up any of my orders so I stick with them.

Adorama and Amazon are other good sources.

I've been dealing with B&H since before the Internet existed and I've found them to be extremely ethical. Not always the lowest price but that's not my sole criteria.

Should I be worried about purchasing a DSLR on ebay? Are there any other better deals out there?
yes, be worried and don't focus on "deals"; otherwise, you will most likely end up with FAR less than what you expected, if that much....

take your time and thoroughly research the essential equipment you need, then source from trusted dealers, B&H, Adorama, etc......their prices may not be "deals", but you can be assured that what you do get is the real thing and not a collection of trinkets

Good info everyone. I guess I will keep shopping for the D80 other places.

I am most concerned about having a camera and lenses that will allow me to take lanscape and architechtural pics. I want a lense(s) that will allow me to get pics at a wider angle...

I would love to get this stuff now and then add other lenses as they become necessary, but for now having a camera where I can start taking high quality pics is my main concern. I want to keep this all under $1,000. Suggestions for lenses?

Quite honestly if you can find a price more than a dollar or two less than B&H then it'll likely be a dicky deal.

I've been dealing with B&H since before the Internet existed and I've found them to be extremely ethical. Not always the lowest price but that's not my sole criteria.

There are far more important things that simply the lowest price; customer support, consistency, great products are just the first things that come to mind.

If you are going for a 2nd hand camera, then ebay is a good place to look. Just like buying anything else from ebay, buyer beware and make sure your seller has a good rating and all that jazz.

If you're going for new then like everyone else here has stated, avoid the super mega crazy package deals that are found on ebay. All the 'extras' are complete junk.

Good wide angle lenses for the D80 and other DX sensor sized cameras include:-

11-16mm Tokina
12-24mm Tokina
10-20mm Sigma
12-24mm Nikon

Out of that lot I would personally go for 11-16mm Tokina, as it is the sharpest in this lens catergory. However you may find your own needs call for something wider (Sigma) or something that zooms longer (Tokina or Nikon).

Good luck!

I will also say, stay away from those offers. Stick with B&H, Adorama and/or Ritz.

I am wanting to buy a Nikon D80 and found this on ebay. Is this a good deal? Should I be worried about purchasing a DSLR on ebay? Are there any other better deals out there?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D80-Digita...QQcmdZViewItem

If you notice the lens in the ebay link above and the lens at BH are two different lens. At BH the lens has VR feature. The accessories that come with it from ebay will cost you around $100-150.

Remember, they don't give you receipt. I have bought few goods from ebay in the past few years none came with receipts. I bought them with one thing in mind, if there is any problem with it - it will go straight into the bin. Are you ready for this kind of bussiness?

Best idea is, print that BH link and go to the nearest shop from your home and ask them if they like to match the price. I am willing to pay $100 more for the shop nearby, peace of mind.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back