Ebay research

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, as you know I am making my DSLR purchase soon.

In fact, yesterday I got my income tax check in... which I got excited about, but also nervous because it means I need to make my decision like... NOW!

lol

SO I have been looking on eBay, as you all know, but I really think I've decided to go against that, and buy from a reuptable source.

But I learned something. Don't take the 98% to be good. I started reading through one persons comments, and understandable there were some negatives, as is with almost anyone on eBay. What bothered me was actually their RESPONSES to the negative feedback. Usually responses are "Will call and try to work this out" or "WIll fix w/customer"... but this one company, who claims to be the LARGEST CAMERA STORE IN THE WORLD, had these gems: (my favorite is where he talks bad about the quality of the item he's selling calling it a 50 cent tripod)

Comment: Bait & Switch. Demanding Another $799 Over Sales Price 4 Service I Didn't Want.

Reply by barclaysphoto: so lets examine this if we offer you a sevice contract thats b&s in whichplanet

Tripod not included as promised, no response to my requests

Reply by barclaysphoto: so becse you didn't get a 50 cent mini tripod you leave us a neg thats laughable

No warranty for Nikon D200, gray market product, no shipping for a week

Reply by barclaysphoto: so explain me this where in the auction did we mention anything about a warranty

liars, accesories all trash,hard upsell,incomplete order finally filled4wkslater

Reply by barclaysphoto: folks he is referring to the auxillary lenses..what did he want original lenses?

bully tactics in sales, order wasn't processed, threatened to leave + feedback!

Reply by barclaysphoto: All we did was offer an extra battery and a flash... thats not bully tactics

fun.. but some on ebay are like that ... they do not survive for long though I hope ..

As I said in a previous thread of yours, ebay is about the worst place for someone researching and looking for new equipment.

There is very very little moving room in terms of price for dealers of camera equipment. 9/10 if the price is too good to be true (especially compared to BH and adorama), it is and is most likely a scam. My experience is that more than 1/2 of the dealers fronted on ebay are scam artists.

The only times I have purchased from ebay:
1) 99%+ on feedback
2) Low volume accounts which are not fronts for stores who seek high volume sales. Usually I prefer individuals who are not looking to offload equipment in numbers but to sell equipment they no longer want/need.
3) If a dealer or store, they must provide valid contact information which I can confirm with the store itself over the phone, cross reference with resellerratings and BBB.
4) In state only with an occasional exception from our neighbors in Canada.

My advice since you are looking for a new camera system is to head to a "real" dealer recognized by many on this board as an honest good dealer. BH, adorama, KEH for starters or a local camera shop. If you can't afford those prices you next step is to save more cash and buy later.. rather than find that "mythical" deal on ebay or online that really doesn't exist.

Now for used equipment .. ... thats a whole different game.

btw.. .isn't this like the 3rd or 4th thread on this single purchase?

fun.. but some on ebay are like that ... they do not survive for long though I hope ..

OOh yes... they've (camera/electronics scam artists) have been around along time before internet was publically accessible and will be for a long time. Its so widespread that there is very little anything any government level agency can do about it...

The easy spread of information via the internet is a double edged sword..
The internet has made their scams more profitable.
The internet has made smarter shoppers even smarter with more information at their fingertips.

As I said in a previous thread of yours, ebay is about the worst place for someone researching and looking for new equipment.

There is very very little moving room in terms of price for dealers of camera equipment. 9/10 if the price is too good to be true (especially compared to BH and adorama), it is and is most likely a scam. My experience is that more than 1/2 of the dealers fronted on ebay are scam artists.

The only times I have purchased from ebay:
1) 99%+ on feedback
2) Low volume accounts which are not fronts for stores who seek high volume sales. Usually I prefer individuals who are not looking to offload equipment in numbers but to sell equipment they no longer want/need.
3) If a dealer or store, they must provide valid contact information which I can confirm with the store itself over the phone, cross reference with resellerratings and BBB.
4) In state only with an occasional exception from our neighbors in Canada.

My advice since you are looking for a new camera system is to head to a "real" dealer recognized by many on this board as an honest good dealer. BH, adorama, KEH for starters or a local camera shop. If you can't afford those prices you next step is to save more cash and buy later.. rather than find that "mythical" deal on ebay or online that really doesn't exist.

Now for used equipment .. ... thats a whole different game.

btw.. .isn't this like the 3rd or 4th thread on this single purchase?

Yes it is the 3rd or 4th, but this was a different comment, and didnt mean it to turn into another "here is what you should buy rmthompson" thread.

Everyone has the best intentions, I am sure, but this thread wasnt about that. It was about telling eveyrone ELSE to be wary because eBay is where I STARTED my purchase.

And since you seemed very concerned, I am buying a D50 locally, and buying lenses through Sigma4less most likely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back