Ebony and Ivory Mountains

I'm in the "foreground's too dark" camp on the first one, but I love the second version of the first one and the first (and only) version of the second one. Wow, that sentence made my head hurt. :lol:

I kinda like the color version too, but I think I'd prefer a slightly desaturated color version. Probably wouldn't prefer it over the B&W though.

Yeah, I sure wish *I* had a D800 so I could take pictures just like you. It's purely this D5100 that's holding me back. :lmao:

For me, the black and white works better as an atmospheric shot. It shows the storm wonderfully, but the grass and stream seem a bit too dark. I'd try a crop just above the stream.

The color image treats your foreground better, at the expense of that storm.

Man, I wish I had mountains like that in my backyard.

btw....I spilled coffee of my camera and now my pop-up flash won't work.....do you think I could spin that into an excuse to get a D800? Seeing your images is really making me want one.

What did you think of the 2nd B&W image.. where I lightened up the foreground significantly? http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/287699-ebony-ivory-mountains.html#post2618338

Thanks Desi! It is only the camera, after all.. I just push the button! ;) lol! I don't know.. got 3k laying around? If so, I highly recommend it! It is a wonderful piece of hardware! But I think I got some really good shots with my D7000 also... (of course, now I want to go an reshoot them with the D800.. lol!)

I like the second image as well. Lighter foreground is nice. Good compositional elements to emphasize the peak. The peak itself, though, seems to recede into the picture. It has a dark shadow on it and is otherwise mid-tone, lacking the snow and clouds behind it that give such great contrast to the ridge to the right.

I'm glad to know you are enjoying the D800. Any regrets on not going with the D4? I was all set on the D7000 as my next camera.....but I'm torn about going full frame and the increased ISO that comes with some of those cameras. I've been buying lenses with that goal in mind. I've just been thinking about it more since I almost ruined my D90.

Hard call... D7000 is great camera! D800 is a great camera! Just depends on your needs, wants, and budget! lol!

I'm in the "foreground's too dark" camp on the first one, but I love the second version of the first one and the first (and only) version of the second one. Wow, that sentence made my head hurt. :lol:

I kinda like the color version too, but I think I'd prefer a slightly desaturated color version. Probably wouldn't prefer it over the B&W though.

Yeah, I sure wish *I* had a D800 so I could take pictures just like you. It's purely this D5100 that's holding me back. :lmao:

Yep.. It's the Camera... not the Photographer! :)

Yep.. It's the Camera... not the Photographer! :)

I knew it!!!

Oh, and they are great shots. I got so caught up in critique I forgot to mention the obvious.

I like both.
I ran traps for a couple of winters while a teenager. The first photo takes me back to those cold, raw days with aching wet hands and trying finish in time to outrun a storm. For my personal taste the foreground is too dark.
I like #2 quite a bit. My eye was instantly drawn to the distant peak and the clouds. For me the foreground serves only to channel my eyes to that portion of the photo.. The tall tree at the right is a distraction. I would narrow the the view to exclude that aspect of the photo. I think it would still balance well with the left of center peak being balanced by the snow cover and white clouds to the right.

I like both.
I ran traps for a couple of winters while a teenager. The first photo takes me back to those cold, raw days with aching wet hands and trying finish in time to outrun a storm. For my personal taste the foreground is too dark.
I like #2 quite a bit. My eye was instantly drawn to the distant peak and the clouds. For me the foreground serves only to channel my eyes to that portion of the photo.. The tall tree at the right is a distraction. I would narrow the the view to exclude that aspect of the photo. I think it would still balance well with the left of center peak being balanced by the snow cover and white clouds to the right.

Thank you! I appreciate the comments!

Most reactions

Back