Edgy contrast portraits in Photoshop

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to take bland portraits and make them hdr-like, edgy with contrast but tastful. What are easy beginner tips for phtoshop to do this other than simply pushing saturation and contrast.

I want to take bland portraits and make them hdr-like, edgy with contrast but tastful. What are easy beginner tips for phtoshop to do this other than simply pushing saturation and contrast.

Shadow/Highlight->check more options. Thats one method but I still don't think it will be HDR like as much as advanced amounts of layer masking.

You should always be working with the best photos you can take, rather than taking bland shots and trying to kick them up...

But still, learn to use the "levels" options in photoshop so you have some control over the light and dark areas.., filter out the noise and re-sharpen using unsharp mask..

You can do an actual HDR with one exposure. While HDR should only be used with the right image and not all images, nothing ventured nothing gained when you learn.

Hopefully you shot in RAW.

1- Open the well exposed RAW, keep the good exposure. Tweak if you need. Save as a JPG

2- Open the same well exposed RAW file, but bring the exposure DOWN to -2.00 (or whatever works, trial and error at first). Tweak if you need. Save as a different JPG

3- Open the same well exposed RAW file, but bring the exposure UP to +2.00 (or whatever works, trial and error at first). Tweak if you need. Save as a different JPG.

With Photoshop, Photomatix or other HDR merge software, merge your three JPGs. Play with sliders.

There ya go... what I like to call.... ghetto HDR.

Again, images with a high range in the dynamic contrast will work well. Those that are bland might not work.

Most reactions

Back