Edit my photo - Fun challenge

sscarmack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Very pleased with this outcome and after my edit, I will be printing this out and hanging it on my wall.

Camera: Nikon D4
Lens: 24-70 2.8
Shutter: 30sec
Aperture: f16
iso: 50
Focal: 24mm
Filter: Two filters, .6 and .9
Tripod: Manfrotto 055XPROB
Head: 498RC4

Post what program you used, what settings you applied, and anything else you can think of.

Heres the Digital Negative.
seanscarmack.com/images/download/20140615-126.dng

Heres a preview
$20140615-126_zpsf4bf3f4a.jpg

I won't post my edit till later, want to give some of you guys a chance to vision it yourself.

Edit....

Here's my edit
$14440200651_71ed156b69_b.jpg

Last edited:
We have three downloads so far. After lunch bump.

Here is my take on it used Photoshop and Photoshop Raw
DlceVjR.jpg

boosted the exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, whites and blacks. Increased the saturation and did a split tone, top slight orange and bottom slightly blue. Then finally sharpened the image just a tad.

Well, I never really do this kind of thing, but here is mine. It is ridiculously overdone, but is still very natural looking
$20140615-126.JPG

PhotoShop..... Seems I prefer to take and edit myself - I cannot invest myself in just the editing part :) Was a change though..

$20140615-126.jpg

Edit: - Exposure comp, Slight fill, Saturated yellow/red, dropped in blue slightly. Slight contrast and RGB Curve edit. Tweaked levels. I think that was all..

Last edited:
$20140615-126.jpg

Edits in LR:
* straightened horizon
* pano crop (there's enough resolution here, I'd actually consider two 20x30 panels, or equivalent)
* temp warmed a bit
* blacks -5
* vibrance +31
* darks boosted a bit
* aqua hue +9
* blue hue +38
* sharpened

was bored at work… :) Adobe RAW and Photoshop. a bunch of settings and adjustments.
20140615-126-2 by keips66, on Flickr

Last edited:
This was fairly quick and frankly needs a bit more fussing. I usually use Aperture for everything but I used Photoshop with the Nik Vivezza plug-in to do this one.

Mostly what you'll noticed is that I slightly saturated just the red channel to create a stronger red/blue contrast (loved the blue already so I didn't need to do anything with that.) Vivezzo works (like most Nik software) by allowing you to drop "bugs" on the image. A bug is a control point that has lots of little arms on it... each arm controls some adjustment (brightness, saturation, etc. etc.) You do get to control the size (radius) of the bug. The changes you apply are applied within the inside of that circular region but then feathered out gradually so that by the time you get outside the control area, there's no change beyond the borders of the bug at all. In other words... you get to control "regional" adjustments within the image rather than having to globally adjust an image. I placed three "bugs" along the horizon... the center one being a bit larger than the outside two, linked them together (you can "group" bugs) and this allowed me to control adjustments in that region in a way that I find to be a bit less cumbersome than having to create masks in photoshop.

This was a bit of fun for me as usually I'd just do this in Aperture and do "brush on" adjustments with my Wacom tablet and stylus.

Anyway, here it is. I did notice that as I drove up saturation on the red channel, that a hot-spot appears on the lake which was a bit blotchy. I was trying to diminish that effect somewhat. I did, but I was a bit too hasty with it and could have done a much better job with a bit more time.

Here's the image:

$20140615-126.jpg

Incidentally... I had thought about cropping, but felt the foreground needed to be "grounded" with a bit of beach and I didn't like any of the crops. So I decided to skip the crop.

I also toyed with a set of control bugs along the beach to boost up the exposure just a tiny bit in that region -- and while I didn't post that version (ran out of time), I did like what I was starting to see.

Regards,
Tim

I can't play because my ball, bat and glove aren't made by Adobe.

I can't play because my ball, bat and glove aren't made by Adobe.

There's always Darkroom on Linux, Rawtherapee and a few others, Gimp is useful if not much less user friendly...

But that comment did make me laugh

We have some good edits in here. I think everyone can learn a great deal when everyone edits the same photo and can see the crazy differences.

Maybe we should have a weekly RAW edit?

I'll post mine in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea, Sscarmack maybe we can vote on best edit, and winner gets to post their raw file to process for the next week.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back