Edit please :)

Discussion in 'Photoshop Challenges' started by Thouchy, May 12, 2007.

1. Thouchy

Thouchy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I hope there is where I post this. I am obviously a newbie and want some help. I am learning both photography and photoshop...but when does the learning really stop? :) Anyways I messed around with this one photo and was hoping you could do better. I like to visualize what can be done..rather then be told lol....These pictures are actually taken with my old camera so they may not be the best...but I just got a new D40x!!! WOOO HOOO. Anyways the first one I will put a before and after. The other ones nothing has been altered so have at it. Thanks! I would like to add the edit is not to my liking. The B&W is not the way I would like it and the ocean looks to fake...lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JustAMom

JustAMom TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    in the critique forum its best just to post one picture and what specifically you are looking for help with.

i like the first and last ones. i think they need to be cropped differently though i dont like the composition. the second one is overdone and although i am sometimes a fan of selective coloring, i am not liking it in that picture. its overly unnatural, especially in comparison to how nice it looked befre doing that to the picture.

3. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    this should be in photoshop challenges under photo themes.

Anyways heres mine. Made a duplicate layer, desaturated and bumped the contrast. Then using a layer mask I erased that change to the water leaving it as it was. Still not a big fan of the style, but I hope it's more of what you were after.

[​IMG]

4. Thouchy

Thouchy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! Any help is welcome. Like I said I am new and I felt it did look to unnatural. Any editing that you would like to do would be welcome. I will remember to put this kind of thing under photo challenges next time...or if someone can move it.

5. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    remember you asked for it.
    [​IMG]

This isnt a bit about photo shop its a simple crop and darken a bit. I would not have shot the horizon there if I could have helped it, but you take what the shot gives you so I think you did well.

The crop you had emphisized the landscape not the people, and I felt you really wanted the shot to be about the people in it.

Hope this helps

6. Thouchy

Thouchy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! I like that crop. I wouldn't think about taking the babies feet out...Your right I should have emphisized the people not the landscape...I did that for a "blue" theme on another forum lol....good idea!

7. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I thought we were supposed to do the second one....oh well, my bad.

Here's my take, but it's a little overdone. :) Just a little something different.

before edit:
    [​IMG]

after I went nutzo on it...hehe:
    [​IMG]

8. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The rule is generally not to chop off body parts but there are exceptions. In this case it was a necessity to get a balance in the picture. You night not be able to see why the feet had to go but you should be able to feel that the shot is balanced.

9. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

Same old traditional not very exciting crop. Could darken it down but high key like this you save the baby from being just a shadow. Again the rock line isn't in a real good place.

10. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mystery,
    I like that, but you have some weird selection on they guy's back and lower neck. Did you mean to leave that in? Is it a compression?

11. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To be honest my eyes are so bad I can hardly see the picture.

I'm sorry all I meant to do was to chop it and make it high key. I think i did a lot more by accident. I did try a few thing with just dodging it but the contrast slipped so I tried to up the contast in spots. I honestly thought I got back to a clean one. Guess I didn't. I can't see what it looks like in detail. Sorry about that.

Just an old fashioned crop. Nothing special at all.

12. Nix

Nix TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]