Editing help

Toller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My editing software arrived today. So thats all loaded and all looks OK. I'd spent a while this evening taking a few test shots to play with, not wanting to risk stuff I wanted to keep. However when I open the RAW file it just jooks like a bunch of coloured lines. Why?

I recall it being said that these files are 'uncooked', so do I need to do something to them before I can edit, if so what.
I'm completely baffled. Please HELP!!!

I ordered the corresponding book for Dummies, though that hasn't yet arrived.

I'm not too quick on the computer....be gentle:(
If there's a 'How to' for this couldn't find it
Software :Corel Paintshop Pro X2

Most camera makers have a proprietary RAW file format with unique formats for each model in their lineup.

You probably need to visit Corel's web site to get the correct version of their RAW converter.

In other words upload any updates.

Failing that, camera makers provide software with their cameras that can open their RAW files. You can then convert the image(s) to a TIFF and open it in PSP.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've got 'digital photo professional' which came with the camera. Though no manual.....
Does it make a difference choosing Exif TIFF 8 bit to 16 bit, or changing the resolution from the default 350?

Sorry, but that's why I ordered the book:er:

Bit depth directly relates to color rendition ... the greater the bit-depth the more colors that can be rendered. So, yes, changing the bit depth in a raw file will make a difference.

As for resolution ... general rule of thumb is that anything over 300 pixels per inch (ppi) is not really beneficial. Larger poster sizes can even be printed at 240-270 ppi because of the distance from which they are usually viewed ...

Thank you LB. That makes sense now.

So best go for 16 bit next time.

Best thing you can do is shoot your image in the highest bit-depth you can achieve in camera, then if you have to, expand it out in PP ... most high end cameras are at 12 or 14 bit-depth at this point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back