Editing my wedding photos...okay or no?

1300 Hundred photos! Wow!
I guess it would depend what your contract says. No one would ever really know if you don't post up your fixes.
I know that seems harsh, but you really can't dicker with the photos and then use them online. Even though he/she gave you unlimited print rights, the copyright is normally not transfered except in extreme, high dollar, situations.
I'm sorry you weren't happy with your wedding photos. That really blows.

You know what's really horrible? I loved them until I came here! LOL Then I realized what amazing photos look like, and I don't have a single one that blows me away! :lol: Oh well... I guess that calls for a vow renewal with a new dress and pictures?

I wouldn't be displaying anything I edit anywhere further than my living room wall. I've been planning on doing a display on my living room wall of the "evolution" of our family... an engagement picture, wedding pic, maternity, and our son... keeping it within the same "set" of editing so it all matches and coordinates. The only ones I don't like, which I should love, are my wedding photos.

I am learning too much though, because I seriously can't find a single one that doesn't look like a snapshot! None have the "this is it" portrait feel to it. Oh well!

Thank you by the way! I guess there is no problem then, I just wasn't sure of the rules or etiquette. BTW, I would never say that was my photography if someone asked... I wouldn't claim someone else's work.

Again, I am so sorry that you were let down. I hear from a lot of people who did research, saw photos, and in the end, they didn't get that grade of work. I'm sorry. I can't imagine looking through 1300 images and not seeing a single thing I was in love with.

Well for what it's worth, if I'm ever in your area, I'm scheduling a "bridal" for our vow renewal! You do magic, I swear!

Is it okay for me to post examples here of what I'm looking at? Then you guys can tell me... is it just me (literally, bad makeup, bad hair.... DON'T get your hair colored the week of your wedding, btw.)

Oh and it was all "professionally" done, I guess nothing really worked out the way it was supposed to that day. Well, apart from marrying my husband. That part was fantastic!

Is it okay for me to post examples here of what I'm looking at? Then you guys can tell me... is it just me (literally, bad makeup, bad hair.... DON'T get your hair colored the week of your wedding, btw.)

Oh and it was all "professionally" done, I guess nothing really worked out the way it was supposed to that day. Well, apart from marrying my husband. That part was fantastic!

Yes, I can't see why it wouldn't be acceptable unless there is an addendum about not posting any photos online....

The rules can be a little anal around here but I see no harm in this situation to post your own wedding pictures.

You know what's really horrible? I loved them until I came here! LOL Then I realized what amazing photos look like, and I don't have a single one that blows me away! :lol: Oh well... I guess that calls for a vow renewal with a new dress and pictures?

I wouldn't be displaying anything I edit anywhere further than my living room wall. I've been planning on doing a display on my living room wall of the "evolution" of our family... an engagement picture, wedding pic, maternity, and our son... keeping it within the same "set" of editing so it all matches and coordinates. The only ones I don't like, which I should love, are my wedding photos.

I am learning too much though, because I seriously can't find a single one that doesn't look like a snapshot! None have the "this is it" portrait feel to it. Oh well!

Thank you by the way! I guess there is no problem then, I just wasn't sure of the rules or etiquette. BTW, I would never say that was my photography if someone asked... I wouldn't claim someone else's work.

Again, I am so sorry that you were let down. I hear from a lot of people who did research, saw photos, and in the end, they didn't get that grade of work. I'm sorry. I can't imagine looking through 1300 images and not seeing a single thing I was in love with.

Well for what it's worth, if I'm ever in your area, I'm scheduling a "bridal" for our vow renewal! You do magic, I swear!

Hey McMommy, if you ever come to Dallas, I will do it for free. Every bride deserves at least one rocking photo. :)

The rules can be a little anal around here but I see no harm in this situation to post your own wedding pictures.

After thinking about it for a nanosecond, maybe it is best to ask the mods. I wouldn't see what was wrong with a link, though.....

Here is the best one of me in my dress. Seriously... this probably shows more detail than any of the others I can see. Oh ps... I wasn't a bridezilla. I was the opposite. Everything went wrong on my wedding day, apart from marrying my husband (and even then, we forgot to sign our certificate, so we did it the next day) and I took it all in stride. Flowers, hair, makeup was wrong, cake was wrong, food was dry, someone spilled champagne on my dress... I didn't freak about anything! LOL

Last edited:
Editing my wedding photos...okay or no?

Not without the written permission of the copyright owner.

TPF does have a rule:

The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - FAQ

* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.

But, I'm aware that forum management had recently decided to relax their stance, to one degreee or another, on its enforcement.

Hmmm, I think I opened a can of worms I really wasn't ready for. Blah... what started as a "fun project" is leaving me pretty bummed out, so I'm just going to drop it and not bother. I have one good B&W very edited photo I can get blown up and frame. That's good enough for now, until we can renew our vows.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
McMommy,you are a super pretty lady. It seems that the photos you posted are not exposed well. They have also not been cropped which would help a host of problems.
There is all kinds of crazy shadows going on. This is because he used no flash or a on camera flash. I can also tell that these photos were taken at 2 or 3 pm. Or 10 or 11. I can't tell if the sun is rising or setting. This is the time though that a big crazy light is needed.
At any rate, some patch work could have helped correct this. At least the stray hairs.
The blue bleed on the dress would have to be corrected via a hue layer.

If I were fixing these two photos, this is what I would do:

Lower the curves on a layer. Bigtime. Do it a few times, and paint in the correct exposure.

Make a hue layer, and get rid of the blue. Hit control delete, and paint only your dress to get rid of it.

Use the patch tool to get rid of stray hair. Unfortunately you are stuck with the shadows.

On the good end, I'm still seeing detail, which means in curves you can probably bring your dress back..........

umm, is that a chicken coop fence he has you standing in front of in the second? Oh lord.

You can patch this out, but you will need a small brush and a ton of patience.

Holy snapshots batman!

You are a very pretty woman, but you definitely deserved better quality than this for your wedding day. If I had not already been following this thread I would have thought a friend or relative shot this with their p&s camera. You definitely owe it to yourself to edit these and your plan for a re-shoot sounds fantastic. Especially now that you will be able to gauge the skill level of the photographer better.

McMommy, I probably wouldn't go to the extent and the expense of a whole new wedding. Have you considered a "day after shoot" ? (Even though it is three years later).
At the end of the day, you should have some really pretty controlled photos that you can proudly hang on the wall. I know tons of great photographers in your area that I can turn you onto. Doing a day after would be waaaaay cheaper than redoing a wedding, and the shoot will cost a lot less as well.
Hope that helps.

I say go for the reshoot too. It might cost a couple hundred but you deserve it. Every bride needs at least one photo that is smokin so 50 years down the road you look back and think damn what a great moment. Im so sorry you had an idiot for a photographer then. :(

Most reactions

Back