Editing programs, what is good?

FITBMX

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I already have Light room, but was looking into a good full editing program.

I was thanking of Corel Paintshop pro X7, do any of you have any experience with it?
Or if you have had great luck with a different program let me know!

Even though it is out of my price range right now, is Photoshop CC really the best out there?

Any help would be great! :)

^^ That! ^^ PaintShop Pro is very good software, but it lacks considerably behind Photoshop. That said, it's a matter of deciding whether you need those extra features on Photoshop enough to justify a "monthly plan" as opposed to 'buy it once' software.

Is PS very hard to learn how to use?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use the Corel Paint Shop Pro x5 and it's perfectly adequate for my needs, which admittedly are not very extensive. I'm sure Corel can do more than I ask it to do, and if I were editing more heavily, I might understand its limits more clearly. I use it because years ago, my brother-in-law gave me Paint Shop Pro (might have been the original version - very early on at least) and I liked it well enough to upgrade a couple of years ago.

If I get anything else, I'm playing with the idea of downloading Gimp. My boyfriend uses it and I like the interface a bit better for some tools. But I've also heard many good things about it. Plus, it's free :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
While LR and PS are certainly great software, I don't need their learning curve, nor do I need all their tools. I edit my pictures on a variety of software, depending on the type of work. I have Paint Shop Pro X7 (to do the PS type of work), ACDSee Pro (to do LR type of work), and Perfect Photo Suite when I need to enhance some pictures with filters, and such. All those software are sold under 100$ each, and they have trial version available.

I use the Corel Paint Shop Pro x5 and it's perfectly adequate for my needs, which admittedly are not very extensive. I'm sure Corel can do more than I ask it to do, and if I were editing more heavily, I might understand its limits more clearly. I use it because years ago, my brother-in-law gave me Paint Shop Pro (might have been the original version - very early on at least) and I liked it well enough to upgrade a couple of years ago.

If I get anything else, I'm playing with the idea of downloading Gimp. My boyfriend uses it and I like the interface a bit better for some tools. But I've also heard many good things about it. Plus, it's free :)

I just finished reading up on Gimp, the main problem I saw was, it sounds like it is hard to use RAW files with. If that's true it would be a problem.
Thanks for recommending it, I do like free!!! :)

I just finished reading up on Gimp, the main problem I saw was, it sounds like it is hard to use RAW files with. If that's true it would be a problem.
Thanks for recommending it, I do like free!!! :)

GIMP isn't a raw file converter but it can be used in conjunction with UFraw to handle that task. If you're looking at GIMP because it's inexpensive then there are also good raw converters that are free. Raw Therapee and LightZone are excellent and can be used in conjunction with GIMP.

Joe

I use 1/2 of 50% of a fraction of a thousandth of a percent of what can be done with CS. @ $10/month it's hard to beat. Learning curve? Everything has one. Youtube has killer tutorials. Get it and start learning.

I use 1/2 of 50% of a fraction of a thousandth of a percent of what can be done with CS. @ $10/month it's hard to beat. Learning curve? Everything has one. Youtube has killer tutorials. Get it and start learning.

I love using YouTube for tutorials, and there are tons of them!!!

Take a look at Pixelmator. It was originally designed for a Mac OS but I believe it now runs on PCs. It was intended to be an alternative to PS. Can't beat the price. All of the instructional info is set up as videos so if you love learning by YouTube than this will be right up your alley.

TidBITS: Can You Replace Photoshop with Pixelmator?

There's also Photoshop Elements, which is a stripped down version of Photoshop in a way. And inexpensive, buy once use forever.
For my simple requirements this fits just fine with LightRoom.

I previously only used Capture one software from Phase One, but due to it missing some key tools that I need for my type of photography I had to say goodbye to it. I just bought the full adobe photoshop CC package after playing around with it for a few years but never really giving it a shot. I can't say I was surprised at how great it was because deep down I think I always knew it was the superior editing software, but it was more intimidating than Capture One for some reason for me. Anyway i'm starting to really like it, I think it's definitely worth the price in the long run

As far as Corel goes I actually used that a couple years ago. I don't know how much it's improved since, but back then it took a backseat to other programs

Most reactions

Back