Editing Tips

PPAAUULL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been doing photography for a couple of years now and I am getting the hang of taking the pictures but when I compare them to others on, let's say Flickr I find that no mater what I do, my pictures' colours look like junk, all washed out and dull even when I take them in the sun. Now I know real photographers never just take a picture and that is it so I have been reading around and found that editing the pictures colours and such might be able to help. What I would like to know is what should I be doing to the pictures every time I off-load them to my computer? What types of thing should I fix and edit with my pictures to get them looking more professional.

If you want to take a look at some of my pictures to give me a better idea you can find them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulvolk/

Thanks so much for the help.

Welcome to the forum.

With most images, I will use Photoshop to adjust the 'Levels' and then 'Curves'. Sometimes I will adjust the Hue/Saturation and maybe the Color Balance. I like to do each of these adjustments with it's own 'Adjustment Layer'

Sharpening can also help to give an image some 'Pop'.

What kind of Curve adjustment? I have played with the curves a bit but I didn't really see how it could help me that much.

The curves adjustment is usually a very small tweak...to increase the mid range contrast.

Check out this site http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
The Tutorials and the Understanding Series are filled with good information that is easy to read.

A lot of the pictures that I have seen on Flickr are ridiculously oversaturated. From what I saw on the first page of your Flickr page, your pictures look great! To me they are naturally vibrant and colorful, so I wouldn't worry about over tweaking them. A little touch up in Photoshop can always add some pop to a picture, though.

a lot of the pictures you are talking about on Flickr are probably an HDR or HDR hybrid of a normal picture, where oversaturation and a hyper-realistic look is par for the course.

Do I change that on the camera or in the editing process?

The first one you posted is oversaturated. When have you ever seen blue fog. Wet grass and an late afternoon sun provides the sunlight with very yellow colour.

The second picture looks much more natural but still a bit strong. I reckon curves were used to bump the contrast on that a bit.

In nature especially have you looked at getting a polarising filter? That bumps up saturation quite a bit in many situations.

PPAAUULL, what program are you using to edit your photos.

I sometimes use Picasa when I am at work, gov company so cant load photoshop. It has a great tool for playing with photo's. You can do basic fixes, cropping, etc. Or flick to the effects tab & you have 12 options.

The best thing is picasa is a free download from google.

It might be a good starting place. Play with the saturation & then go back to photoshop & play with the levels & try & match it.

Cheers

Brad

Grabz: I do have a polarizing filter. I never thought of using it though. I will give it a try.

bdh1974: I have both Photoshop and GIMP. I like and use GIMP a lot more then photoshop though. I have been fooling around with the curves/levels and suck in the past two days and ya it does seem to give me a better looking picture. Although for the past two days it has been raining so the lighting has been very dull and drab. I will try some more and tell you what I find in the coming sunny days!!! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back