Editorial Shoot - C&C PLEASE

arizphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hiya guys. I Just had a editorial shoot yesterday for my school assignment, and I managed to get, what I call a "FWAH" shot. Haha.

My model Nicolette was in a Channel inspired dress with topshop heels. This was shot at the Armenian church. I love the angles in this picture.

I'm still filtering out my shots, will post more, but in the mean time C&C please. :D

4288249102_8f9128867a_o.jpg

Flickr: okayariz's Photostream

I actually really like this shot, although it's a bit underexposed in parts. I love her expression and the interesting lines and shapes created by her pose. Her legs, shoes, hair are all fading into the background, however, due to the underexposure.

I actually really like this shot, although it's a bit underexposed in parts. I love her expression and the interesting lines and shapes created by her pose. Her legs, shoes, hair are all fading into the background, however, due to the underexposure.

Thanks for your crit! :)

I get what you mean about the under exposure, but I was going for a super dramatic lighting effect. I used a portable strobe and honeycomb to create a harsh light coming from one direction. I also used a silver reflector on the other side to light up the dress slightly.

Here's another shot from the shoot.

This is Lyn in a dress from my school's Apparel Design department. It's called the star dress? I think. Really nice dress.

This was also shot in the Armenian church, within the nave.

4289967531_10f95e9de6_o.jpg

Yeah I would play around with the exposure a bit in the first one too but I really like it overal. The background shadow in the second one kind of kills it for me but I like what you were going for.

Yeah I would play around with the exposure a bit in the first one too but I really like it overal. The background shadow in the second one kind of kills it for me but I like what you were going for.

Thank you for commenting. Humm, I'll keep the shadows in mind. But here's another one. But the lighting is kinda the same as the 2nd one.

4290062521_4cd95a35bb_o.jpg

Perhaps you are working on a poorly-adjusted monitor with the brightness cranked to MAX or something. Maybe that explains why 80 percent of the frame in each shot is so dark it is unreadable on a calibrated monitor.

Perhaps you are working on a poorly-adjusted monitor with the brightness cranked to MAX or something. Maybe that explains why 80 percent of the frame in each shot is so dark it is unreadable on a calibrated monitor.

I see what you mean! Thanks so much for pointing that out for me. It never crossed my mind at all.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, and yes, my brightness is at its max. Damn. I know glossy screen doesn't help either. Hummm. I've got to fix this problem.

Thanks a lot!!!

I see what you mean! Thanks so much for pointing that out for me. It never crossed my mind at all.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, and yes, my brightness is at its max. Damn. I know glossy screen doesn't help either. Hummm. I've got to fix this problem.

Thanks a lot!!!

I think with a macbook you should have your brightness set to max, it isn't the same as a standard monitor. Luckily Macs are the computers of choice for most photo editing. Google best screen settings or something like that. I found a site at one point that tells you exactly how to set up your monitor to get perfect edit to print look.

I like the first one...I think if you want to go with super low key lighting, you might consider a tighter crop. Over all in all of them, I think you've achieved the look you are probably going for with the lighting you've used...it's not my cup of tea, but I can see what you were going for.

I like the first one...I think if you want to go with super low key lighting, you might consider a tighter crop. Over all in all of them, I think you've achieved the look you are probably going for with the lighting you've used...it's not my cup of tea, but I can see what you were going for.

Thanks for your objective crits Farrah. I agree that a tighter crop would be more ideal, I'll be sure to take note of that next time.

My lecturer doesn't allow crops for this particular assignment, but I'll look into that if I do put them in my portfolio.

This is actually my first time trying this style of photography. We were supposed to do editorial and the first thing that came to my mind was full on drama. HAHA. So I think that's the reason why I opted for such lighting.

I also did a commercial-ish shoot for the first part of this assignment. You can check that out on my Flickr. Flickr: okayariz's Photostream

I really enjoyed looking at your photostream. Poses were great and the close up was beautiful. Great models to work with. Is fashion going to be your primary focus?

I think with a macbook you should have your brightness set to max, it isn't the same as a standard monitor. Luckily Macs are the computers of choice for most photo editing. Google best screen settings or something like that. I found a site at one point that tells you exactly how to set up your monitor to get perfect edit to print look.

I disagree with this 100%. Macbooks do not make ideal displays for photo editing. The only display 6-bits per channel, meaning instead of 16.7 million colors, they only display 262,000. It's usually okay until you have nuanced, graduated colors. You don't really know what you are looking at in those situations. In my experience they don't work with colorimeters too well. I finally settled on a Huey Pro, but there is a slight color cast that I need to acclimate to, before I can get a sense of my colors. If you don't have a colorimeter and you try to calibrate it by eye, may the force be with you. I've heard repeatedly is extremely difficult to get an accurate calibration by eye. Also you don't want to have your brightness on full, if you are using a colorimeter. Your backlight will degrade over time and you will be able to compensate for that if your base level of brightness is not on max power.

I like your photos. I think #1 is a nice model shot, but it doesn't show off the outfit very well, and since it is a fashion shot I think the fashion should be the main focus of the image. I think the other clothes need to be retouched, they have unappealing creases in spots and make the clothes look less beautiful than they could be. You should try to bring a student wardrobe stylist or a professional looking for TFP work with you on shoots, so they can just look for odd creases and can adjust the clothes to fit better. Then you can just focus on the model and the photography. Keep up the good work.

Most reactions

Back