Eee, fashion...

musicaleCA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I've got the model lined up, and now I just need to hunt down an MUA, but that isn't the point of this thread. (I've digressed in the first sentence. I think that's a record for me.) *ahem* I'm going to do my first shoot with a model in the soonish future (actually a sister of a friend whom I shot at a party; she loved the photos enough to refer me).

Other than looking at as many good shots as I can as inspiration, what else can I do to prepare? I'm planning on scouting a few areas I might want to use, and have a few ideas for shots I want to get bouncing around my head (gotta find myself a suitable brick wall for one...). Going for a sorta grungy, urban look.

Suggestions, thoughts, whatever would be great (and if anyone has seen great shots by some photogs recently that fit this general idea, I'd appreciate a link; I ran into Matthew Brindle's work and my gods is that some effective lighting...).

Oh, and besides the gear below, I have two light stands and umbrellas (two white reflector, one white convertible), a fairly large 5-in-1 collapsible reflector plus stand and boom for the reflector, and I can mount a flash on the end of the boom too for easy overhead lighting.

Last edited:
Okay, I've got the model lined up, and now I just need to hunt down an MUA, but that isn't the point of this thread. (I've digressed in the first sentence. I think that's a record for me.) *ahem* I'm going to do my first shoot with a model in the soonish future (actually a sister of a friend whom I shot at a party; she loved the photos enough to refer me).

Other than looking at as many good shots as I can as inspiration, what else can I do to prepare? I'm planning on scouting a few areas I might want to use, and have a few ideas for shots I want to get bouncing around my head (gotta find myself a suitable brick wall for one...). Going for a sorta grungy, urban look.

Suggestions, thoughts, whatever would be great (and if anyone has seen great shots by some photogs recently that fit this general idea, I'd appreciate a link; I ran into Matthew Brindle's work and my gods is that some effective lighting...).

Oh, and besides the gear below, I have two light stands and umbrellas (two white reflector, one white convertible), a fairly large 5-in-1 collapsible reflector plus stand and boom for the reflector, and I can mount a flash on the end of the boom too for easy overhead lighting.

I have written several essays on this specific topic and would highly recommend you read them before jumping in head first. It is less technique and more the art of discernment. Just go and read those articles before wasting your precious time. At least know the vocabulary before you start the conversation.

Good Luck
Ben
Ben

Thanks Ben; I found your post on 17 June helpful, but there's no native search on your blog. >.< In any case, though not all that applies (modelling agencies? Hmm, naught the money), it did give me some ideas on how to go about this properly.

Thanks Ben; I found your post on 17 June helpful, but there's no native search on your blog. >.< In any case, though not all that applies (modelling agencies? Hmm, naught the money), it did give me some ideas on how to go about this properly.

When doing a test it is usually an exchange. They get images you get the model. Same for hair, make-up and clothing stylist. It is always for free. Otherwise the model or model agency would have to pay for the photographer.

Yep, that's what I'm doing. TFP for now, and hopefully I can use such exchanges to build a respectable portfolio over the next year or two. Naturally I won't be giving them *all* the photos, just the selections that I think are up to snuff.

Most reactions

Back