Eek! I was accused of copyright infringement!

Dear Sirs, you are using the words Photo Forum, and we would like you to stop, because our photo forum uses the same two words. :er:

Sorry but unless this person has something special and unique, and has registered the phrase, you can tell them to pound sand. You can't copywrite a common phrase.

It's courteous of you to change, but it sounds like they badgered and attacked you in emails. They should have made a polite request and explained their position, not sent an angry mob after you.

Everyone here needs to use it on their own website! :lmao:

I'd really love to read or see this proprietary phrase? Maybe you could just link to the website, so you don't infringe by using the secret words. IS it something like "celebrates your newborn baby and the love that created your expected baby" or less generic than that?

So, do you think she just googles her own words randomly to see who to attack?

I recently sat in on a seminar put on at a local trade show by the Government of Canada regarding Intellectual Property. A phrase (or sentence or word, etc) CANNOT be copyrighted in any form, at least in Canada.

They can, however, be trademarked. Which is fairly expensive and must be indicated with the small TM clearly with the text only after receiving the proper trademark approval. There is a detailed process of applying for trademark at

http://www.canadabusiness.ca/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=CBSC_FE/display&c=Services&cid=1106654753275〈=en

It is very similar to applying for a patent. There is also a link that allows for you to search for trademarks already registered.

Sorry to hear of you dilemma and you likely don't need the grief anyway, but I would keep on using the phrase and just delete the messages or ignore the forum. Sometimes, it's like Dr. Phil (which is trademarked BTW <G>) says... "You can be happy, or you can be right..."

All the best,

Given what I do on the internet I gotta know this stuff and be able to acess it quickly, you are fine
What Is Not Protected by Copyright?

Several categories of material are generally not eligible for federal copyright protection. These include among others:

Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression (for example, choreographic works that have not been notated or recorded, or improvisational speeches or performances that have not been written or recorded)

Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents

Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration

Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and containing no original authorship (for example: standard calendars, height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables taken from public documents or other common sources)

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wccc

second vote for: "go pound sand"!

Hahahhahah.... you guys have all made me feel so much better about this. :heart:

(((((((((GROUP HUG)))))))))))

Battou and Hatman, thanks for all the great info, too! Now I'll know what to say when/if this happens again.

Hahahhahah.... you guys have all made me feel so much better about this. :heart:

(((((((((GROUP HUG)))))))))))

Battou and Hatman, thanks for all the great info, too! Now I'll know what to say when/if this happens again.

Yeah, Truth is, Wile there is no true form "international copyright law" almost all of the modern world adhears to this word for word under the Berne Convention. I'm sure if I did some research I could find out exactly what countries are signed to it but...

How many times have you seen "the world's best cup of coffee" in a coffee shop
or on a street corner? How about "x million burgers sold"... You can't copyright
a phrase of english speech.

I am the best photographer ever!

There... no one else ANYWHERE can use that. Ever.

:)

Someone else post up the phrase so the rest of us can see it. I would like to
see what this lady thinks she "owns".

I think you should tell her to bite you OP.

please send me the phrase, I'm going to put it in every signature of every forum i belong to....

then get it printed on vinyl and wrap my car in it...

just for spite naturally..

That;s ridiculous.

Sounds like this person has too much time on their hands.

Most reactions

Back