EF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 vs. EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6

Which lens is better for automotive photography?

• 50mm 1.8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-18mm 4.5-5.6

• other

• Total voters

maxusiaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello fellow photographers! I literally just joined this page.
About 8 months ago I punched my first DSLR the canon 70D with the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
Not sure if I am using the lens wrong, but I just don't enjoy it..
In the last couple of months I acquired the "Nifty Fifty" and I am absolutely in love.

My main interested is automotive photography, and the 50mm isn't too shabby for that, but I've found the 18-135mm weak for it, either that, or I am using it wrong..

That is why I am considering the EF-S 10-18mm, am I making a mistake?
I love high bokeh therefore I know lower f/stops are key for that.

Could anyone recommend any affordable lenses for automotive photography ranging up to $500.
I am a beginner so I still want to experiment

or if I'm wrong and anyone has some fun tips for the 18-135mm lens..

Can you describe what you mean by "I've found the 18-135mm weak for it"? In order to recommend or look for a solution for an issue, we may need to know about the issue first. Technically, you can use wide range of lens or say, focal length with varies f-stop to take photo of cars or car models. It all depends what you are looking for.

For example, you are into car tuning field and like to use your camera to document a project inside a garage and found that once in awhile, you cannot compose the photo the way you want due to the field of view is not wide enough, then a lens with a shorter focal length or photo stitching maybe a solution. Of course, there are many different scenarios, some may involve additional lightings etc.

Sorry for not being specific. I am into the modified scene. I take photos at outdoor car meets and indoor, I like doing personal sessions anywhere outdoors.. I just don't get the results with the 18-135mm. The pictures I have taken with it just don't look to my appeal.. I'll try and get some of my examples up with the 50mm

I couldn't figure out how to post the photos, but heres a link to a recent example tfmeet-6 Flickr - Photo Sharing
If you can go through my images just to get an idea..
If I am still being confusing I apologize, I am new to all of this.

While I don't routinely go to car shows, I did go to an indoor/outdoor show about a year ago that had maybe 200 cars there.

My photography goal for the car show was to get all or almost all of every car I photographed in focus. So, I set the camera to Av and the aperture to f8 and let the camera figure out the rest. Whether I was in bright sun, shadow, or even inside one of the buildings, the camera decided what settings to use with f8 and my images were all properly exposed - except for a couple of backlit shots I failed to recognize while shooting.

I had my 24-105 lens for the shoot, and found most of my shots were in the 24mm-50mm range. As I shoot with a full frame camera, on the crop-sensor 70D, you'd need a lens of about 15mm-35mm to get the same angle of view and not have to back up 'into the next county' to get an entire car in the picture. The Tamron lens suggested by PWhite214 above is likely a good fit in terms of focal lengths covered and wide apertures. However, when I had a 30D and later a 60D, the 18-135 was my 'do all' lens. Its only shortcoming was low light work, which was solved by using a flash.

Your comment about wanting high bokeh is rather problematic. You correctly stated that you need lenses with f1.8 (up to 3.5, give or take). But a large aperture is only part of the high bokeh solution. The other is separation from the background, generally the further, the better. In other words, a car backed up to a wall cannot produce high bokeh if most of the car is in focus. But here's the trade off for wide aperture shots...low depth of field (DOF). Per the online DOF calculator http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html, when shooting at f1.8 from a distance of 10 feet with your 70D, the DOF is about 10 inches...the bumper and hood ornament are in focus. The rest of the car is blurred. Is that what you want? If so, great.

As you indicated that you are new to DSLR photography. With that in mind, I'd like to suggest you spend some time learning the basics, especially the exposure triangle and DOF considerations. Here's a link for some great information: Learn Photography Concepts In short, don't lock yourself in to one very specific type of photography. Learning to effectively use your gear is critical to getting photographic results you want. Limiting yourself to auto photography only will ultimately limit what other types of photographs you can get good results with.

Thanks so much for the help!
I am not limiting myself not car photography, but I spend majority of my time doing so. I go outdoors and take scenic photos, as well as animals.
I've gone over the Photography Concept posts and it gave me great information..
Thank you for the DOF calculator, and no I do not want part of my car blurred out, my goal was to have the whole car in focus, so that hopefully will help me.
Thanks again!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back