EF 180mm f/3.5 L Macro

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Josh66, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon EF 180mm f/3.5 L USM Macro Lens Review

Does anybody have this lens?

I never see it mentioned here... Seems like it would be the ultimate macro lens (except for maybe the MP-E 65...).

I think this will be my next lens (won't be for a while though...), just found it odd that it seems nobody has one...

2. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not familiar with the lens but after reading the review and at more than twice the price of the 100mm macro, Im think I would take the 100mm.

3. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I work with a guy who uses this lens extensively. He gives it high marks.

4. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the 100mm Macro (non-L, got it before there was an L version), even already having the 100mm, I still want this...

The extra length and extra working distance seem like huge pluses to me...
    Slow focus is not really an issue with a macro lens (it's to be expected, really) for me.

Cost... Yeah, well less is always better, but...

For one, this is an "L" lens, so it comes with the tripod collar and hood - deduct $200 (maybe a little more) from the price right there. I had to buy both of those seperately with the 100mm macro. The 100mm is "L" quality though, just doesn't come with the extra stuff L lenses do.

Only down side I see is that it's only f/3.5, which I guess is still pretty good for 180mm...

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Do you have the proper lighting for macro?

If not, the proper macro strobes with the 100mm macro you already have would go a long way than having two lenses with no macro strobes.

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You might want to consider the Sigma 180mm macro and possibly the Tamron 180mm macro as well.
    The Sigma is a very popular choice since it gives the same performance as the canon, whilst being noticably cheaper in price (whilst also coming with hood and collar). Image quality wise the L means nothing in this case on the canon - the sigma is equally able to perform just as well.
    For features the sigma has HSM focusing; internal focusing and is fully teleconverter compatable with the sigma range of TCs (not compatable with canon make).

The Tamron is another cheaper option, but whilst what I have seen of it is good solid sharp images I have only ever seen two users of this lens. It seems that, rather like the canon, there is some reason why this is not as popular a choice in macro lenses. It might simply be that Tamron don't have as good a reputation and advertising as Sigma or it might be other factors to do with features and/or price.

For an idea of the sigma vs the canon have a read of the reveiws here:
    Juza Nature Photography
    Juza Nature Photography

And note that whilst sigma do make good products, most people are happy with "upgrading" to the canon versions and feel that its a worth while move - Juza in this case found that it was not such a case with the 180mm macro.