EF 24-105mm or EF 28-135mm?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by PhotoSlip, Jul 23, 2007.

1. PhotoSlip

PhotoSlip TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello everyone.

I am considering between the Canon EF 28-105mm lense or the EF 28-135mm lense.

I have looked through shots taken through both lenses and I find these results:

EF 28-105mm II USM

Sharp results all the time, seems like in almost any condition.

It seems to make reds 'really really' red. However, greens and blues seem a little washed.

EF 28-135 IS USM

Seems to have really sharp photos half the time, but in other photos it's the total opposite and I wonder if I'm reading that it's the same lense. Mainly notice portraits are it's strength, however there are a few landscapes which came out great.
    Doesn't seem to be any range of focal length or aperature which affect the sharpness, I may have missed the pattern though.

Regarding colors, it seems to have great contrast and all blues, greens, and reds are great.

*I viewed around 50 photos with the EF 28-105mm, consistant results so I stopped.

*I viewed over 100 photos taken with the EF 28-135 and results a so extreme I'm too confused to continue.

Now my dilemma is I'm greedy. I want the colors and I want the sharp clarity. Also, I like the IS for low light help (I seem to always be in low light trouble), and I can hardly spoon soup in my mouth as my hand is so unsteady.

If someone could assure me that the EF 28-135mm is actually very sharp (as sharp or more) than the EF 28-105, and these results are consistant and that I'm just unluckily viewing a lot of crummy work, then I will definitely purchase the EF 28-135.

However, if not, am I wrong to say that EF 28-105 blues and greens are slightly washed compared to the 28-135?

Are any of my observations wrong?

Any input would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The problem with looking at photos (while it is still a good idea) that countless things affect the final result, and they are not under your control in the field. The amount of light hitting the front element, the shutter speed, one image may be on a tripod with mirror lockup engaged, the other may not have mirror lockup and the tripod may shake slightly. etc.

For starters the 24-105 is an L series. Very high quality construction. And a larger magnification ratio of 1:4 instead of 1:5 which means when you need to blow up something it will come up bigger. Not quite macro though. Vignetting is under control on the 24-105, but a bit higher on the 28-135. The 24-105 is sharper under all conditions. The 28-135 is significantly less so. Both are consistent over their apertures. Wide open the 24-105 has higher chromatic aberration, but only at the lowest aperture and widest angle. Beyond that it slightly beats the other.

The data was taken from the technical reviews at www.photozone.de Personally if I could afford it I would get the 28-105 simply because of it's rugged construction.

3. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your heading says 24-105 v 28-135
    Then your post states 28-105 v 28-135......

If you are looking at the L there is no competition. the 24-105 f4L IS will win every time but it is expensive. i suspect that you are looking at 2 different lenses though. -

Both the 28-105 II & the 28-135 IS are decent consumer grade lenses.

The reviews above depend on what the user is doing and I'd not go with that.

4. PhotoSlip

PhotoSlip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sorry. Thank you for pointing out the typo in the title.

You are right EOS_JD, I am talking about the two consumer grade lenses.
    The 28-105 II USM and 28-135 IS USM

Sorry for the confusion.

EOS_JD, so are the two lenses comparable in sharpness and I'd be better off buying the EF 28-135mm?

5. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I've only used the 28-135 IS and it's not as bad as many make out. What is important when looking for a lens in my opinion is not the range but the speed. A much better lens IMO is the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or perhaps even the Sigma 24-70 f2.8. A constant f2.8 aperture will allow faster shutter speeds in low light.

IS only helps with static subjects and to be honest a faster aperture is more favourable much of the time. f4-5.6 lenses are just too slow in low light to much good.

Choice depends on what you are shooting right enough. Can you provide any more details?

6. PhotoSlip

PhotoSlip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for the advise on the Tamron. I am now interested in that lens also!

However, second hand, it seems to be selling for approximately the same price. I lose some range and I lose Canon's IS feature, but I can see that it's images are great! I also like

Now I'm lost in options again.

I am buying a general purpose lens. I will be doing anything from portraits to landscapes to weddings. I don't photograph professionally. I will not expect this lens to preform for long distance photography (i.e. animals).

7. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    But the aperture maxes at 2.8 You'll LOVE that when you find out it lets in mor elight and you can use faster shutter speeds. The term for lenses like that is "fast glass" and they are a must have.

8. laotech

laotech TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i suggest you invest on the pricer 24-105 F4L IS. The IQ is really great basing on other forums and review. This is a very good walkabout lens considering its range and with the beauty of an IS to boot.

9. PhotoSlip

PhotoSlip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    laotech,

I wish I could invest in the L glass. I would be much happier. However, I don't have the funds for that right now.

I am getting a 430 EX or a Sigma 500 Super along with this purchase.

But even with both lens and flash added up, it still doesn't get me the EF 24-105 L.

EOS_JD & DSLR Noob,

I had a Sigma 24-135 f/2.8 and I was still having light problems or my hand is really unsteady. The focus motor control ribbon broke and no one could fix it. I find I need a decent flash to help me out anyway.

So I'm not too concerned about max aperature, but more of a good lense for walking around in the day. The flash will have to take care of low light when it can. I will have to save up again for fast glass. Right now I just need a walk around lens.

Although, in terms of fast glass, I'm considering the 50mm f/1.8 for my next purchase. It's affordable and seems to be recommended by a lot of people.

10. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just to add confusion to the issue. My wife and I each have a Canon 28-135 as we shoot horse events together. The IS does help my shaky ol' hands a great deal. Is it a great lens? No. A very good one though, much underappreciated by those that haven't used it.

11. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That Sigm 24-135 is a variable aperture lens. It's f2.8-4.5 so when zoomed out the max aperture is f4.5..... You should be concerned about max aperture. that will make a big difference to your shots. Not only faster shutter speeds but better bokeh too.