EF 50mm f1.8 STM or EF 85mm 1.8 if I have these...

Which one should I buy?

• EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tida19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tidacha.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello guys,

I posted exactly same post on another website/forum. I'm desperately need advice. Please ignore this if you've read or replied somewhere else.

I'm kind of making decision what to buy between EF 50mm f1.8 STM and EF 85mm 1.8

I have these following.

Lens

Cannon EF 24 - 105mm f/4L IS USM
Cannon EF 16 - 35mm f 2.8L II USM
Cannon EFS 18 - 135mm F3.5-5.6 IS

Cameras: Canon 60D & Canon 5D mark II

I shoot mostly portrait like small weddings and engagement.

This is my thinking:

I think 85mm is great for portrait and what I'm doing, but from what I have; I could manage to get good result as well..or not haha ( I could be wrong ). I've never thought of 50mm before because I take more candid shot and rarely disturb people in the event. So I prefer some distance and zoom in. But honestly, I want to try shooting with it.

My concern is .. sure the price

So I would like to hear honest advice. What should I get first in order to get more fun shooting ( or something different to experience ) Also I would love to try some food photography for fun :D
Please feel free to let me know if you think I should consider the other alternative.

Ps. Alternative brands are okay :)

Thank you in advance :)
Hello from Thailand

T.

Last edited:
look back at your shots with the zooms. what focal lengths are most commonly used?

If I was going to spend a lot of money, I'd probably get what I knew I'd use a lot. If I was going to buy used and could get something inexpensive and wanted to experiment I might try something different than what I usually use. Or I'd rent something and try it out. You might think about what is it that you think you can't do with the lenses you already have, and what is it you want to be able to do/

You have some lovely photos Tida. I read the info. that was two paragraphs long (then said Read More) and was thinking I'd suggest you might want to rephrase the part about saying you're not the best photographer. It's OK to be modest but you might think about leaving that out and just saying what you provide - that you're unique and have your own perspective, etc. I think people will look at your portfolio to see if they like your style.

If you're marketing to prospective clients that speak English as their native language you might think about editing your written work to make some corrections in grammar. I'm just seeing some minor errors that wouldn't be too hard for someone to correct so the text still conveys your ideas and personality.

Your 24-105 L is 50 and 85. Use that. My 50mm hasnt been on my caneras since I got the 24-105 and now that the 70 can go on full frame no need. No interest in an 85 prime either for me, I will take that shot with ine of the zooms.

If you NEED low light no flash get a 50 1.8 you can zoom in to 85 with three steps anf they're worth about 50 bucks. Maybe $150 brand new for stm but really there are a million 50mm lens out there. Now if you actually, really need low light no flash ( because someone pays you to do it) then get the 1.4 ;)

PS you have nearly my exact camera lens combo. Is D60 meaning 60D or in thailand maybe its different?

I would ditch the 18-135 its inferior, I sold mine a few weeks ago for $300 when Inupgraded to 24-105L.

35mm on crop sensor is going to be similar to 50 on FF.

Just get a nifty 50 who cares lol. Everyone should have one.

look back at your shots with the zooms. what focal lengths are most commonly used?
This is interesting :) but I don't quite sure. Now I'm in phone. Would you be kind and explain a little bit more how most used focal l
PS you have nearly my exact camera lens combo. Is D60 meaning 60D or in thailand maybe its different?

I would ditch the 18-135 its inferior, I sold mine a few weeks ago for $300 when Inupgraded to 24-105L.

35mm on crop sensor is going to be similar to 50 on FF.

Just get a nifty 50 who cares lol. Everyone should have one.
it's 60D :) Typo and corrected it

Your 24-105 L is 50 and 85. Use that. My 50mm hasnt been on my caneras since I got the 24-105 and now that the 70 can go on full frame no need. No interest in an 85 prime either for me, I will take that shot with ine of the zooms.

If you NEED low light no flash get a 50 1.8 you can zoom in to 85 with three steps anf they're worth about 50 bucks. Maybe $150 brand new for stm but really there are a million 50mm lens out there. Now if you actually, really need low light no flash ( because someone pays you to do it) then get the 1.4 ;)
Thank you for helpful answer :) I think for the price I should get a nifty fifty.
I actually love 18-135 on my 60D - can't explain why but I grab that often. In case I'm thinking to sell it, what do you recommend to get as replacement? Or should I save up to get something fancy :p
What do you think about subject isolation on 85mm? It seems to give lovely result.

Thank you

If I was going to spend a lot of money, I'd probably get what I knew I'd use a lot. If I was going to buy used and could get something inexpensive and wanted to experiment I might try something different than what I usually use. Or I'd rent something and try it out. You might think about what is it that you think you can't do with the lenses you already have, and what is it you want to be able to do/

You have some lovely photos Tida. I read the info. that was two paragraphs long (then said Read More) and was thinking I'd suggest you might want to rephrase the part about saying you're not the best photographer. It's OK to be modest but you might think about leaving that out and just saying what you provide - that you're unique and have your own perspective, etc. I think people will look at your portfolio to see if they like your style.

If you're marketing to prospective clients that speak English as their native language you might think about editing your written work to make some corrections in grammar. I'm just seeing some minor errors that wouldn't be too hard for someone to correct so the text still conveys your ideas and personality.
Aw thank you so much for such an honest feedback and take time to explain that to me. I feel warm :) I aware of my writing and admit that I careless about grammar and even re-reading. :p Maybe I should change that habit if I want to get more clients right :D

Renting lens in Thailand is not so popular. I'm on the island as well make it even harder to borrow from friends. So I didn't get a change to try that much on lens and I was hoping for someone having the same gears and have experience with my target lens.

Thank you for helpful answer :) I think for the price I should get a nifty fifty.
I actually love 18-135 on my 60D - can't explain why but I grab that often. In case I'm thinking to sell it, what do you recommend to get as replacement? Or should I save up to get something fancy :p
What do you think about subject isolation on 85mm? It seems to give lovely result.

Thank you

FWIW Im selling my nifty 50, I would use 50mm on my 24-105 or back up a few feet and use 70mm 2.8. I've never used an 85 1.8 but I shoot at that range all the time, once again, with the 24-105, subject isolation to me, is more a function of choosing suitable backgrounds and using light and distance for separation. I prefer to use f4 or higher Fstops for portraits, lifestlye or sports and add light with flash.

I do love that soft dreamy look a 1.8 can provide. Now you got my wheels spinning and GAS syndrom may kick in.

Thank you

FWIW Im selling my nifty 50, I would use 50mm on my 24-105 or back up a few feet and use 70mm 2.8. I've never used an 85 1.8 but I shoot at that range all the time, once again, with the 24-105, subject isolation to me, is more a function of choosing suitable backgrounds and using light and distance for separation. I prefer to use f4 or higher Fstops for portraits, lifestlye or sports and add light with flash.

I do love that soft dreamy look a 1.8 can provide. Now you got my wheels spinning and GAS syndrom may kick in.

OH NO NOT G.A.S ! :p
You gave good advice, actually go go get it and let me know haha :D or read the first paragraph from @vintagesnaps if you start you have gear acquisition syndrome. It's useful :)

Hey! It's pretty nice to have someone who has similar gears. How do I follow your work?

Thank you

OH NO NOT G.A.S ! :p
You gave good advice, actually go go get it and let me know haha :D or read the first paragraph from @vintagesnaps if you start you have gear acquisition syndrome. It's useful :)

Hey! It's pretty nice to have someone who has similar gears. How do I follow your work?

I post in the people photography forum quite regularly for CnC on my children portraits and I have an Instagram if you like gardening ... @thechefgardener on IG.

your website doesn't appear to work well for me in Edge.
This is interesting :) but I don't quite sure. Now I'm in phone. Would you be kind and explain a little bit more how most used focal l

what focal length did you shoot this at: http://www.tidacha.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Tida_Cha-professional-photographer-0428.jpg

or this: http://www.tidacha.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Tida_Cha-professional-photographer-3192.jpg

or this: http://www.tidacha.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Tida_Cha-professional-photographer-6650-2.jpg

if you see patterns in your shoot habits, pick the lens that follows suit.

for example, if the three above were all ~85mm, then I'd lean towards the 85mm. If however you notice most your shots are taken in the 35-50mm range of you lens, maybe you'll prefer shooting with the 50mm.

i personally dont think the 50mm youre looking at is a great lens. might as well just pick up a $50 youngnuo copy...

I voted the 85mm f/1.8 USM. I looked at your portfolio and you had many pictures where the longer focal length would not be an issue. It is a very good lens for the price! When I shot with a Canon several years ago, I had one. It will work well on both the 60D and the 5D. 85mm is a very good portrait length. On the 60D it will have same view as 136mm which is also a very good portrait length.

Also since the 50mm f/1.8 STM is about 1/2 of the 85mm cost wise. It would be the easier one to purchase later on with less savings needed! As it is also a good lens to have in the bag!

I'm reading through how you want to use this next lens and it seems pretty clear that you have no need for a 50mm f/1.8 lens, but could probably use an 85mm f/1.8 lens. Here's why.

For portraits, shallow depth of field, deliberately blurred background... the 85mm is it. The 50mm can't compete.

But then you mentioned your interest in a 50mm is to shoot candids at a normal focal length during events. The thing is... when you're shooting candids at an event, you are not going to be using f/1.8. These are mostly likely groups or tables, etc. and at f/1.8 you'll only manage to get one person in nice focus (at most). You'll have to stop down for depth of field... and as soon as you do that... well, you've got a 24-105mm f/4 so... what's the point of a 50mm f/1.8? It doesn't seem that this lens will provide any capabilities you don't already have.

Thank you so much guys! I've purchased 50mm new one because I could easily sell it if I don't like it. But I'm still looking for a decent used 85mm.

Now I have bigger problem. I sent my gear to service 5D mark II, 24-105, 18-35
All of them got fungi!!! Big time! Sure I noticed it before and I knew that it needed service immediately, but silly me stretched it too long.

Canon Thailand service center said, for lens it couldn't clean so I need to change lens components..which two lens together costs about $2,000 (im looking for alternative services now )

My question is,
Would it worth fixing it?
Should I get used one in another range and fix it later?
I'm comfortable using these lens, any alternative brands I should look into? Sigma or tamaron? Sadly I have budget for second hand or used one only.

Thank you in advance for helping

Most reactions

New Topics

Back