EF 50mm f1.8 STM or EF 85mm 1.8 if I have these...

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by tida19, Sep 29, 2017.

?

Which one should I buy?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2017.
  1. EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

100.0%
  1. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

I voted the 85mm f/1.8 USM. I looked at your portfolio and you had many pictures where the longer focal length would not be an issue. It is a very good lens for the price! When I shot with a Canon several years ago, I had one. It will work well on both the 60D and the 5D. 85mm is a very good portrait length. On the 60D it will have same view as 136mm which is also a very good portrait length.

Also since the 50mm f/1.8 STM is about 1/2 of the 85mm cost wise. It would be the easier one to purchase later on with less savings needed! As it is also a good lens to have in the bag!

2. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm reading through how you want to use this next lens and it seems pretty clear that you have no need for a 50mm f/1.8 lens, but could probably use an 85mm f/1.8 lens. Here's why.

For portraits, shallow depth of field, deliberately blurred background... the 85mm is it. The 50mm can't compete.

But then you mentioned your interest in a 50mm is to shoot candids at a normal focal length during events. The thing is... when you're shooting candids at an event, you are not going to be using f/1.8. These are mostly likely groups or tables, etc. and at f/1.8 you'll only manage to get one person in nice focus (at most). You'll have to stop down for depth of field... and as soon as you do that... well, you've got a 24-105mm f/4 so... what's the point of a 50mm f/1.8? It doesn't seem that this lens will provide any capabilities you don't already have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tida19

tida19 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you so much guys! I've purchased 50mm new one because I could easily sell it if I don't like it. But I'm still looking for a decent used 85mm.

Now I have bigger problem. I sent my gear to service 5D mark II, 24-105, 18-35
    All of them got fungi!!! Big time! Sure I noticed it before and I knew that it needed service immediately, but silly me stretched it too long.

Canon Thailand service center said, for lens it couldn't clean so I need to change lens components..which two lens together costs about $2,000 (im looking for alternative services now )

My question is,
    Would it worth fixing it?
    Should I get used one in another range and fix it later?
    I'm comfortable using these lens, any alternative brands I should look into? Sigma or tamaron? Sadly I have budget for second hand or used one only.

Thank you in advance for helping

4. JohnTorcasio

JohnTorcasio TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You need a 70-200mm in your kit

5. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I have the 85mm f 1.8. It is a great lens and sounds like it fits the mission you described. I have the 6D Mii and find I have the 24-105 f4 on it most of the time unless I need the speed of the 1.8 or the bokeh it delivers.

By now you have made your decision. What did you do?