EF or EF-S mount?

EF mount - if you can afford the good EF mount lenses
EF-S won't fit on Canon EF bodies. So if you later upgrade to an EF body any EF-S lenses you have won't fit.
Thats not entirely true,EF-S Crop mount will fit EF-Mount Full frame but EF-S recess further into the body thus possible damage to the mirror hitting causing damage. Canon warns of this in the user manual and think on there website.
No, it won't. At least, Canon EF-S lenses won't. I am told Sigma and Tamron APS-C lenses will mount on a EF full frame camera but no Canon lenses.

Ok maybe I misunderstood and it was third party but I read somewhere of someone doing this and the mirror jammed up damaging of course this was a while back when I shot Canon with an ugly white lens.

3rd party companies only use the EF mount design even for their crop sensor only lenses. However you are correct that EFS (or crop sensor) lenses do typically protrude further into the camera body than EF lenses do (because the mirror in a crop sensor camera is smaller). Thus mounting a crop sensor lens to an EF (fullframe) body can mean that the mirror will strike the rear of the lens which will typically seriously damage the mirror.

SOME crop sensor lenses can fit onto EF (fullframe) bodies; but its a case by case situation (some - ergo canon own brand - require modification of the mount to fit to the EF body).

Thanks Overread good info.

I have the 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 IS STM in EF-S and the 50mm 1.8 EF as well as the 75-300mm f4/5.6 EF. The 75-300 doesn't give me the greatest image quality. The 18-55 is OK for what it is. I mostly use the 50mm because of its sharpness. What would you recommend under 200$?

refurbished 55-250 STM - $139 which includes the regular one year warranty

I have the 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 IS STM in EF-S and the 50mm 1.8 EF as well as the 75-300mm f4/5.6 EF. The 75-300 doesn't give me the greatest image quality. The 18-55 is OK for what it is. I mostly use the 50mm because of its sharpness. What would you recommend under 200$?

refurbished 55-250 STM - $139 which includes the regular one year warranty
That is on my list. Will it be sharper than my 75-300 iii?

I got thr 55-250 STM for 127 from canon. Refurb. We'll see if it's a good lens!

Just for grins, I just rented two lenses: a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II (retails for $1800), and a Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I used them at an event this past weekend, lots of people, lots of quick candids and posed shots, but also some scenery. And NOT a wedding, so I could actually experiment a bit. I'd wanted to experience an f2.8 lens on a DSLR and see if I could recall that experience from my film days. The camera was a 7D II. What I found out was while f/2.8 is great, but 24-70 isn't. The lens is huge, heavy, not stabilized, and zoom limited. That means a few shots were actually compromised or lost because of limits to focal length range. Low light shots would theoretically have improved by the nearly 2 stop improvement, but sadly the lack of stabilization was even more of a limitation, negating the gain in light. Yes, the 24-70 is optically superior, and the 18-135 suffers from distortion and CA a lot (both of which are easily corrected in post). It's build quality is pretty cheap, felt a bit plasticy and had a tiny bit of wobble. But in the end, I found the 24-70 frustrating to use, and ended up not using it much at all, favoring the 18-135 to such an extent that I never took my 70-200 f4 L IS out of the bag. If you can't get the shot with the lens you have on the camera, you'll miss it taking time to change lenses. I know, a second or third body...but not right now. So the experiment saved me a possible $1800 expense on a lens I wouldn't like. For me shooting an event, sports, people, what it turns out I most need is a single, highly versatile lens. I wish for something like a 17-135 L IS, which actually may be worth the money.

I love renting lenses!

Most reactions

Back