EF-S 60mm Macro Lens

jefflesh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking at getting this lens for some macro shots, it looks like the reviews are all good for it but I want to hear from people who have it. Additionally, I would like to see some pictures from this lens so that I can see images for myself, not that that means much, lol...

Thanks all for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Go to www.photozone.de for an independant review of lenses. You'll see that most marcos are very good resolution-wise. What I appreciate about Canon macros is that they all have internal focus ... which I feel is important in macros. This gallery is mostly with the 60mm EF-S:

http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/665568#28692310

Remember that if you upgrade to a 1D or 5D the EF-S lenses won't fit. And that the 100mm macro and the 180mm macro will delivery the same magnification as the 60 macro, all 1:1. The main dif is that the shorter the lens the closer you have to be to the subject ... so if your main interest is insects ... then maybe a longer lens might be better ... you won't scare the little fellers away. Sigma and Tamron also make great macros.

an example:
36876512-M.jpg

I have no personal experience with the lens but just from what I have read, I would probably have chosen the 100mm f2.8 USM Macro over the EF-S 60mm macro.

- Longer working distance.
- Able to be used on full framed bodies.
- Good focal length for other uses like portraits
- 60mm focal length is too close to the 50mm f1.4 which is faster.

The reviews are favorable for either lens...

Most reactions

Back