EF vs EF-S

gt6jim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,
New member alert!

I'm looking to buy an EOS 400D, and have been looking round pricing up lenses etc. I'm just a hobbyist and I've used 35mm SLR quite a bit and a lot of a KonMinolta Z2. but never a DSLR

Anyhow I'm trying to get my head round this.
I know about the sensor size multiplier for most consumer SLR. eg. 1.6 for 400D
But does this apply to ALL EF and EF-S lenses?

or Is it just the EF type? as they can be used on 35mm equip?

Cheers Jim

it applies to both.

The big difference is that EF lenses fit most canon film cameras, and all digital cameras, where the EFS only fits some of the digital cameras. It fits the 300D-400D, 20D, 30D etc... but it will not fit on the full frame sensor digital cameras such as, I believe, the 5D and I think the 1dmkIIn.

Hope that helps.

The big difference is that EF lenses fit most canon film cameras, and all digital cameras, where the EFS only fits some of the digital cameras. It fits the 300D-400D, 20D, 30D etc... but it will not fit on the full frame sensor digital cameras such as, I believe, the 5D and I think the 1dmkIIn.

Hope that helps.

You're right Gimp.
EF-S lenses don't fit the 5D. The EF lenses do though

Cheers Guys.
So what you saying is, when buying lenses, may as well stick with EF type?

If you plan to ever replace your camera with a superior full frame camera and reuse your lenses, then yes. Also I recommend skipping the kit lens, and just going for the cheap but beautifully sharp Canon 50mm 1.8 MK II (google it and read reviews) as a starter. I almost never use my kit lens unless I need the wide angle to take a pic in a small room, or if I want a closeup of something, as the 50mm has a longer minimum focusing distance. Try and keep your lineup as EF as possible.

So what you saying is, when buying lenses, may as well stick with EF type?
That is certainly one way to go. However, because of the crop factor...getting a wide field of view on one of these digital...is rather hard. What was wide (24-28mm) on your film camera, is no longer wide. Ultra wide angle lenses on 35mm cameras are limited and expensive.

This is where EF-S lenses come in. They give us back the wide angle end of the range.

Sure, there is the possibility that some people may run into the situation where they have a lot of EF-S lenses...then want to upgrade to a full frame camera that is not compatible. However, Canon seems committed to EF-S lenses and the APS-C sized sensor...so even if you have to sell them...there should still be a good market for them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back