Elbaflex

Ihagee?!?!! that got my attention.

I was fascinated by the OTHER 35mm SLR camera kickstarter project linked to in that article! The one called simply REFLEX.

WOW!!!! What a great idea!

Though I'm glad to see it I have my doubts that the Elbaflex will fly unless it is very inexpensive. As far as I can see the only advantage to buying this Nikon mount SLR body over, say, a used Nikon or Nikkormat is that you won't have to replace the light seals. Otherwise, its specs are inferior to any Nikon-made body. But, maybe it will do well in other countries where old Nikons are not as plentiful as they are here is the US. It may also have an appeal to Exakta fans.

Non-Nikon-made F mount cameras have been made before. The Kiev 17 and 19 models, for example.

Last edited:
Non-Nikon-made F mount cameras have been made before. The Kiev 17 and 19 models, for example.

It's nice to see a film camera like this being made, I'm a bit puzzled why the Nikon F mount is being used. M42 maybe a better mount for potential buyers? The spec seems similar to a 1960s Pentacon with 1/500 top speed. Wonder if it has the mirror slap too? :)

I think the present day Helios optics co (KMZ?) make lenses in F mount.

$530 WHAT! I bought a minty Nikon F3 that also takes F-Mount lenses and 35mm film, at an antique shop for $100 and it will go up to 1/2000. There are so many 35mm Nikon's out there Im curious what their business model is.

I think their target market is the people who would love to get into film photography (for the first time), but who might not have the knowledge and experience to buy used. And there is always a market for new versions of old things -- look at 280g LP re-pressings. And there is a large potential market in education if the film renaissance continues as it seems it will. I know the institution at which I teach will not (in fact, is legally prohibited) acquire used classroom equipment.

They're not going to sell a million units, of course, but if they sell 10,000 in a year, then it's a solid model.

In some ways, I find this more interesting than the Reflex. Not that I have the slightest inclination to buy into either, but I do think a slick-looking, consumer-oriented 35mm SLR could do a lot to move the renaissance along a bit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back