Elderwood

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Digital Matt, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Shot with my Tamron 17-35mm in the forest surrounding the Mentor Marsh. Inverted the colors in PS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think! :)

2. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That bad? :p

3. Je-C

Je-C TPF Noob!

They're very mystic... almost fairytale like. Personally, I like the color change as it's unique.

4. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

matt,

i usually have nothing to say for your pics cause they are so damn good in my eyes...but these take the cake...i dont know what you did to them to get to this point...but im at a loss for words. your style of shooting is what I aspire to learn.

beautiful work

md

5. JPPLAY

JPPLAY TPF Noob!

I like those pictures alot would you consider doing a trade?

6. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Je-C :)

Matt, I was just kidding. I was sitting here watching a movie and checking the forum every once and a while and there were like 20 views and no comments :p

You are very kind. If you have any questions about my shots feel free to ask. I think we are all here to learn.

JPPLAY, I would consider a trade, sure. I sell my prints rather cheaply, so you can check out my DA prints gallery and purchase a photo if you like.

http://mperko.deviantart.com/prints/

Oh btw, here's one more ;)

[​IMG]

7. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

sure i got a question.

would you post an original of any of these and explain step-by-step what you did?

8. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

There's an original of the second shot. I adjusted the levels in my raw software to get a bit more contrast. The exposure was right on out of the camera. I bracketed when I shot.

I didn't want to upload another version of this to my site, (it's getting cluttered :p), so this example has a sharpening layer and a softening layer, which I'll explain below.

After tweaking the levels in raw, I export an 8bit 300 dpi tiff to PS 7.0.

In PS I duplicated the background layer, inverted it (ctrl + i), then set the blend mode to "color". That's all it takes to get that color. The colors are simply inverted. Then I went back and duplicated the background layer again. This new layer is between the background and the color invert layer. I ran 4 USMs on it. 40%, 20, 0 - 10%, 100, 0 - 300%, 0.3, 0 - 500%, 0.2, 0. This oversharpened it quite a bit, but that's ok. I then duplicated the background layer again, and moved this layer above the sharpened layer, but underneath the color layer. I gaussian blurred this layer by 6 pixels, and then set it's opacity to 50%. Now I just needed to tweak the opacity of the sharpening and softening layers to blend them together nicely. I ended up with 40% sharpening, 25% softening.

That's it. After that I bicubically resampled this image up to 4800x7200 pixels (16"x24" at 300 dpi) for print.

The process was virtually the same for the other 2 photos. If the exposure wasn't perfect, that was the first thing I would fix, either with levels, or curves, or both. Another way I get good contrast is to convert the photo to B&W with a channel mixer adjustment layer. I adjust the 3 channels to get a good strong B&W contrast, then I set the blend mode to "soft light", and adjust the opacity to around 30%-40%. That gives a very nice contrast.

Make sense? Pretty simple editing. I think it looks good without the color change also.

9. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

thanks. im gonna give this a try. so u say i should be shooting my d70 bracketed and raw?

10. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Amazing! Very creepy and very fitting for this time of year.

11. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, always bracket, and always shoot in RAW because it gives you so much more control of the exposure. Changes you make to a raw file introduce way less noise and give a much better result than corrections you make in PS to a tiff or jpg.

Bracketing is smart, because getting a technically correct exposure is not always what looks right to your eyes. When I shot some of these shots, my histogram showed a nice exposure, with good shadow exposure and no blown hightights, but it looked too bright to me. I wanted to capture the darkness of the woods, and if I hadn't bracketed I would have been darkening the exposures in post production. I hardly touched these photos. I just picked the best exposure out of the 3 or 4 shots that I shot for each. If you have enough memory, which you should, it really pays to bracket.

12. JPPLAY

JPPLAY TPF Noob!

I sent you a pm also the raw picture looks very nice. We have to remember that most of these excellet visually altered picture have a very good raw shot behind them. Your composition skills are very good Digital Matt.